Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WiFi Hub, Openreach box on wall new build

Erica122
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Connecting internet for the first time....I’ve ordered Vodafone Superfast 2 broadband and will receive the WiFi hub tomorrow.  I’ve moved into a new build and I have an Openreach box on the wall, I believe is for fibre which I don’t want as I just don’t need it.  Will the WiFi hub work from the Openreach box or do I just plug into phone socket instead? Thanks in advance for any help! 

10 REPLIES 10

Farai
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

If you have an Openreach master socket you should be able to plug into it to access your Broadband service. If you're happy to provide pictures of the socket in question, we can also help you double check that it is the correct one 👍 

Hi, thank you, I’ve taken a photo, it’s in a cupboard so not the best quality!D05F3CFC-5FA2-4AD9-9F74-8B0BDCB0C55B.jpeg

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Where does the white cable from that box go? What does the phone socket look like, does it have one or two sockets?

Farai
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

No problem at all @Erica122. Looking at the picture, we'd recommend that you use the socket on the far left of the shot. If you experience any issues with that, please drop us a message via social media here and we'll help you run some tests on the individual sockets 👍 

Jayach

If that left hand socket is the phone socket (why would they put it in a cupboard?) then yes as  says the DSL cable will connect to the smaller of those sockets, no need to use the filter.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You might want to contact your developer as it may well be that you are on an FTTP only development see New sites fibre handbook .  If this is the case then FTTC (Superfast 1 & 2 in their standard configuration will not work!

Cynric

I was wondering about that as the picture looks like an ONT device.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup and you plug the ONT into the socket to the left so you can place your router in the living room.

I note the link I posted doesn't work - New sites fibre handbook v9.4 Let's see if this link required fewer permissions!

*might be worth CS familiarising themselves with the basics at least!