Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi Speed From Router & Wired Mesh - FTTP

ConsoleKing
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

New customer to Vodafone FTTP from VM. All seems well with my 500mb connection though my only gripe at present is the slower speed I'm receiving from my Deco M4 (this is simply in place at the other end of the house to boost my WiFi speed).

Previously on VM I would get 300mb+ over WiFi to my devices such as my firestick. On FTTP it seems to cap off around 200-250mb? I tried a different mesh router the Eero Pro and recieved similar speeds. Tested both to my phone and capped off around 220mbs.

I know many may think why am I bothered as I'm still getting good speeds though just wondering whether it is the router which is causing the slower speeds as nothing else has changed in my setup except for changing from a VM Hub 4 to the Vodafone router.

May consider to purchase a AX router in the future but just thought I would ask the community first on their views.

Just to note a speed test on WiFi direct to the Vodafone router only gives around 215mb.

Thanks a bunch!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WiFi SweetSpots (WSS) isn't an artificial test, but it is so precisely targeted that the numbers are always higher than you'll see from real-world applications.  I'd still be expecting to see maximum real-world throughput at about 75% of the figure suggested by the app. 

The fact that you are not alone in this, and it seems to be something that has happened recently suggests some misconfiguration in the router.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

Gerry_Atric
12: Established
12: Established

Have you tried testing it with all the other wifi access points turned off? It will be interesting to see how the speed test on the main router goes with all that switched off. 

So I'm just wondering how you performed the speed test between over the WiFi to the router because the only VF router I have here is the old HHG2500 - and I'm pretty sure its WiFi is faster than you are experiencing!

The set-up here is pretty simple an Asus GT-AX6000 in the living room, and an RP-AX56 (AX1800) Mesh extender in one of the bedrooms primarily to give a better connection to a heating relay (in an access cupboard 2 solid walls and a floor away from the router) and higher speed to a security camera mounted on the garage at the end of the garden.  Using WiFi Sweetspots to the router I can get 900Mbps over a 1.2Gbps link, and to the router via the Mesh extender 400Mbps over a 1.2Gbps link.

*I only have the GT-AX6000 because I got it for a fraction of retail, in fact I paid more for the Mesh extender!

**WiFi Sweetspots app does tend to give better results than a straightforward download test, and it can majorly stress the router!

Thanks, tested this out now.

I got around 650mb (from a 500mb connection) over WiFi using this app. I just don't understand why any other device cannot come close to this speed and really why my WiFi speeds have basically dropped on all devices to much slower speeds than when I was using the old VM router. 

I think I may just have to swap to a third-party router which is slightly annoying but I suppose will offer better all round service to everyone in the household.

WiFi SweetSpots (WSS) isn't an artificial test, but it is so precisely targeted that the numbers are always higher than you'll see from real-world applications.  I'd still be expecting to see maximum real-world throughput at about 75% of the figure suggested by the app. 

The fact that you are not alone in this, and it seems to be something that has happened recently suggests some misconfiguration in the router.

220mb down / 70mb up - WiFi - nothing connected to ethernet ports.

Wired I do get 500mb down / 70mb up.