main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

Wired broadband problems

2: Seeker

I seem to be having persistent but intermittent problems getting wired access to my Vodafone router. For the past week I have been unable to get any wired access to the router. I eventually got a replacement router (after 6 days!!) and plugged it in yesterday. Wired worked but it would only allow one laptop to connect wired if plugged in directly. As soon as I put an unmanaged hub in the middle it stopped. I tried three different hubs but all with same result. This morning everything seems to be working including my BT Wholehome mesh WiFi network.!

If I could be confident it would remain stable it would be OK but the network failure has happened too many times for this. 

Any my suggestions please?

Thanks

View more options
9 REPLIES 9
15: Advanced member

Right, so for a couple of weeks recently I was forced to use VF router while waiting for a issue to be fixed.  And in a pretty "default" set up of the router I had no issues with the ability of the router to run with all 4 networks ports used on it (including 1 to an 8 port hub, 1 to my normal routers used as an access point, and one connected to a powerline distribution system).  There were other issues down to the router, but not regards wired devices.

I would advise though, that if you are using the VF router, you are often best to let it do it's job.  So try to use DHCP dynamically allocated addresses where ever possible.  The VF router does not seem to like it if you have too many devices with IP addresses that are static (either set in the router, or in the device).  Say you had a device called "fred", you should still be able to access it directly using http://fred.broadband

You may not be in this situation, but try to keep everything as simple and standard as possible!  Oh any when you plug in the cables to your hub, just check that you have no loops!

View more options

That's quite strange @Stdm11, It sounds like a DHCP server issue. If it's a replacement router then it's likely that we’ve pushed out a firmware update for it, and this might be the reason why it’s suddenly all working again now.

I can really only ask that your keep an eye on it and let us know if this is a repeat issue. I’m, sure it will be fine, but If you have your own router that you’d prefer to use, we can provide your network logon details.

Blair

View more options
4: Newbie

I've been with Vodafone for 2 months now...and have had 2 routers.. 1st one replaced due to multiple drop in connections... mainly by Ethernet cables . So the 4 ports on back stopped working.

New 1 sent... seems a bit more stable but do get daily disconections still.. 

3 weeks ago went through all the tests again of test socket and leave devices connected etc.. I will call you back later today he said. Never happened. So called today to get results. Round the houses etc for a simple question - what were the results ? Well they were deleated after 3 days... No reason given.

So I suggested the main problem seems to be the router is not up to the job ! Was offered another router (3rd) I said no.. what about the router Vodafone ireland use ? It's the same I was told. Well it's not is it ! It's white for a start. Can I have that 1 I asked ?

I'll find out she said. 

No you can't as that is an old router and they use the black hg2500 one that UK use.

Right ok. So maybe getting passed to tech 2 team later after a few more tests.

So I do a online chat to vodafobe ireland..... and ask which router we would get when we join..

You probably have a choice of 3 depending on your speeds.

So a CLEAR lie there. Screenshot took....I'm close to getting a 3rd party router but want to explore the ireland router again. Sure they would be compatable and I didn't see much in the way of router problems in their forums. Model was hg659 I think.

Thoughts anyone on this ???

View more options

@Ianl49 Hi there, we've no access to send a router out that Vodafone Ireland supply. In the UK we've only got access to the one router and that's the one sent to you. If you're looking to use your own router, please messgae us back and we'll be happy to send you a link to get in touch. Joe

View more options

Ok. So there seems to be a problem with your supplied router....and I read that over and over again within the forums.... but you are still not addressing that ? I spoke to customer services yesterday and she said your router turns off for 3 or 4 seconds due to it not getting correct speed....!!?? That I laughed at and replied a router doesn't do that...

Also spoke to some one few weeks back who said we are testing a new router and will be rolled out very soon ?? 

A different supplied router would solve alot of your problems ??

View more options

We don’t have an actual fault @Ianl49  What you may be seeing is references to a very small number of customers who are seeing a high amount of crc errors on their routers. We've let our 3rd line team know about this, and we’ve asked anyone who sees this to report it as a fault.

There isn’t a new router that we can provide you with, but you’re welcome to use a third party router if it will help. We just need to get you the network logon details that it'll need.

Blair

View more options

Ok. So 2 nights ago all 4 lan(Ethernet) ports stopped working.... Wi-Fi and internet were working ok. I reset router and got 1 working again..

On line chat have said we will send new router. I don't want the same router again. That would be 3 rd in less than 3 months of being with you.

So can someone explain why these ports s to working for a while etc...????

View more options

Very strange to hear that it's happened again @Ianl49 - I wouldn't be able to offer any explanation without running any sort of tests which I'm unable to do on here.

If you've already spoken to our tech team, they would've checked for issues that could've caused this to happen. Maybe they can give you a more detailed answer behind that.

I can only suggest that you purchase a third party router if you no longer wish to use ours.

View more options
2: Seeker

My question is - why should we supply our own router at our expense. We are paying Vodafone for a service that should be reliable. This obviously isn’t the case. Vodafone should either fix the issue or recommend and finance a third part router as their current one seems to have an intermittent but obviously recurrent fault and is obviously not up to the job.

View more options