Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wireless router alternative

kristhejoiner
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello forum.

Been with vodaphone broadband a few months now and i must say im not impressed with the router provided, internet keeps dropping out, certain parts of the house (only 2 bedroom semi) dont get wifi or very slow wifi and if we go outside into the garden we can forget wifi.

Today tried to do a zoom conference that was an embarrassment.

Im just wondering if its worth buying my own router from currys or the like. 

Can anyone recommend a decent but not expensive router that has a good signal range.

Thanks in anvance

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

So you will actually need a modem+router, which is what the VF device is or a separate modem and a router.  Once you've got those you'll also need to get your service username and password which are different to any other Vodafone un/pass that you already have.

So for a modem/router combo recommendation: For a budget set up I'd go for the TP-Link VR2100 (cheap and easy to set up).  For a more advanced router that won't break the bank I'd try the ASUS DSL-AX82u - it'll keep you a little more future proof.

Now for the disclaimer.  If there are other issues in your home swapping to a different router may not solve them all.  Try where ever possible to keep your router away from sources of electrical interference, if possible plugged into the main phone socket.  Worst positioning possible: On the floor, by the front door of a house with solid granite walls - do this an you will have issues!

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for letting me know i need a modem and router all in one. I will look into that tp-link its currently £100 in currys.

• Should i be concerned with the mbps on 2.4 and 5ghz bandwidth. I guess the higher the mbps the better but is it all reliant on internet package i havecand equipment in the home ie lapton amd phones etc

Anonymous
Not applicable

For most people having both router and devices that are MU-MIMO compatible (wave 2 version is even better) is going to reap far better rewards than getting a router with very high WiFi speeds that devices can't really make use of.  So unless you have an absolute ton of devices both those routers should work fine.

hello,

im thinking of getting the tplink archer 2100 for £100

just double checking if im better with this modem router in one or would i be better getting hold of an open reach modem and then get a separate router?

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the long run, having a separate modem and router gives you more router options.  But with a well thought out router, you shouldn't be using many of those options anyhow!  A couple of points on the HG612 V3b router, download speed on it is a little conservative compared even to the standard VF routers.  And then there's the age, modems and routers do not have the longest life span, and you'll probably be buying a device that is 5+ years old.  You just need to be aware of this.

*I have a HG612 V3b even though I prefer to use the Draytek Vigor130 (which is slowly cooking the bottom of its plastic case).

I think at the end of the day it comes down to how much you are going to tinker - if you are a tinkerer then go with the separate units, if not get an all in one!

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. Im not a tinker i k ow nothing about this.

I hust want something thats going to give me better wifi speed and range than the Vodafone wifihub

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm gonna say it...  There are times when reading the comments on here it would seem that two tin cans and a piece of string would have better range than the VF router.  As for third party routers, my phone will connect to my home network a couple of streets away, and I've a solar-powered WiFi security cam watching the house from the end of the garden with no issues!

Wow thats good range. Woukd router is that? Would the tp link vr2100 be the be same range?

hello,

ive ordered the tp link acher vr2100. coming tomorrow.

could somebody please tell me what settings i will need to put in. thanks