Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wireless router alternative

kristhejoiner
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello forum.

Been with vodaphone broadband a few months now and i must say im not impressed with the router provided, internet keeps dropping out, certain parts of the house (only 2 bedroom semi) dont get wifi or very slow wifi and if we go outside into the garden we can forget wifi.

Today tried to do a zoom conference that was an embarrassment.

Im just wondering if its worth buying my own router from currys or the like. 

Can anyone recommend a decent but not expensive router that has a good signal range.

Thanks in anvance

16 REPLIES 16

Update.

Got the tplink vr2100 yesterday.

Plugged it on put username and password in connected straoght away no problems. Speed test on lan was 39meg upload 8meg.

Now all the positives out of the way onto the nagative. Wifi range very poor. Infact worse than the Vodafone hub.  No wifi outside at all. Very disappointed about that

Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprised by the WiFi signal range - this is usually a pretty good, easy to set up, basic router.

Ive downloaded an app on my phone called wifi analyser and im in same room as the new router and im getting same strength as next doors sky broadband  and thats through double brick 

What i thought was next door sky internet turns out to be my skyQ sky tv box lol. Thats got a good signal its next to my router

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@kristhejoiner wrote:

What i thought was next door sky internet turns out to be my skyQ sky tv box lol. Thats got a good signal its next to my router

Better to turn that off (if it's possible, I don't have Sky to check) as it may be interfering and will not be doing anything as you don't have the Sky Q router.

Ive had a look in the sky setting cant see where to turn it off.

I have moved the router from behind the tv and done a temporary shelf above the tv for the router to sit on and that has improved the signal strength somewhat

gordon8wp
4: Newbie

ASUS DSL-AX82u would be a great choice for sure. I have such model in the office, and it works perfectly. When we've been adjusting all our networks and systems, we've asked tech professionals from agency Sphere IT ( here: https://sphereit.uk/managed-it-services-london/ ), and they have done everything exactly how we asked them.