main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

Would a 3rd party router improve my service quality compared to the one Vodafone provide?

3: Seeker

Hi

I am looking at buying a 3rd party router for my internet . The TP-Link AC1600 I get 63mbps to my line but the speeds fluctuate all the time. I find it gets stuck at 13mbps alot with 17mbps upload when I run a speed test .

I turned off my router firewall the other day and that seemed to speeds things up on WiFi. 

It's weird ookla gives me a 13mbps download and labs2think 38mbps. But when I download on steam it goes upto 60mbps . This is on an ethernet connection these results

Would a better quality router help this at all?

Thanks 

View more options
16 REPLIES 16
17: Community Champion

I have seen past posts where a person has decided to use their own router for a few reasons.

This thread holds some Chat and information @DrGashingtons

HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-VDSL.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
14: Advanced member

Maybe not .

It all depend on what is slowing you down 

1 routing issue 

2 line issue

3 throttling issue 

4 router issues 

5 speed test server lagging 

6 on wifi then too many wifi near etc

In my case I am on a third party router no drops in the last 32 day vodafone router dropped every day  . my sync is a third better. wifi is better and will reach every where but I had line issues the vodafone router did not like my line 

View more options

Thanks for your reply. I went out and bought one. The best thing I have ever done. I'm getting full speed internet. No jitter or anything on ethernet and the WiFi speed is right up there too. 

View more options
2: Seeker
View more options

I bought the TP-link AC1600 best thing I have ever done. If you get one go onto the chat and ask for your username and password they will give you it. When the router asks what broadband company younare with I selected plusnet and I have had no issues since. I'm am getting full speed all the time the router needed relogging in once but no problems since. 

View more options
2: Seeker

Very good to know, i think i'll be doing this.  Thank you 

View more options
4: Newbie

I've been  thinking of buying a 3rd party router....my speeds are about 27-31 mbps... down 6 up.

Not a major problem.

My main issue is the dropped connections.... 3 or 4 seconds at a time but virtually every day.

So you had a tp link  router and your dropped connections have stopped ?? Was looking at ac1200 router. About £65 

View more options

If you get a 3rd party router the biggest improvement you are pretty much bound to see is in the 2.4GHz WiFi LAN (Local Area Network) performance.  You'll also find that if you are gaming, running any kinds of SmartHubs, or other local servers (DLNA etc), that these just work better with a commercially available (consumer oriented) router.

If you are having problems with the VDSL connection dropping out, just moving to a third-party router is not going to fix that, if it's a line or cabinet issue!

If you get a third-party router, be aware that if you have any devices which only use the subset of channels used in the USA, you "may" have to change settings to reflect this!

Personally, I struggle to put up with the restrictions that the supplied VF router imposes.  Despite all the talk in here, the router, once in place needs to just work.  There should be no need to go in and fiddle with settings once it's up and running!

View more options

The gaming for 2 Xboxes are the most annoying drop outs for my 2 boys.....So if new router helped I'd get 1...

I use a mesh system so turn Wi-Fi off on router but still get disconnections by Ethernet..

How would I know if it's a line or cabinet issue then ?

View more options

You've really got to start by taking note of when the connection drops occur, and then look at VF router logs.  The logs aren't great, but if you can see anything, it may still help.  If you can rule out, line and cabinet issues, then with two gaming consoles on your home network I certainly expect a third party router to work better than the VF router - you could probably even go back to connecting the consoles via WiFi!

*It would be nice if you could RELIABLY set up a modem in bridge mode and give devices individual external IPs, but 98% of the time you are still going to have to port forward or DMZ on the replacement router.

View more options

i know the Vodafone router don't like power line adaptors it causes the router to drop sync, maybe your mesh system is doing the same 

View more options

Ethernet cables are direct from router to Xboxes.... don't use powerline as unreliable.

Mesh is just for Wi-Fi so no cables out of them.

So where do I find router logs ??

I know how to login into router etc.. but which is the area to see logs ?

Thanks for help

View more options

Update....

So last night at 9.00 all internet went off. Ethernet and Wi-Fi. Waited 1 hour then tried to see what's going on.

I use a mesh system. Which means turning off Wi-Fi on router. Green internet light was on so service coming to router.

Turned Wi-Fi back on and I could connect to internet again....

I then reset router. This then connected my mesh system... but not wired connection s to 2 x Xboxes and wired smart tv...

So to me the Ethernet ports are faulty ? Had this before and new router was sent. This my 2nd router on 2 months of being with voda....

So am now thinking router can't cope with 4 Ethernet cables plugged in.

So do I get a 3rd party router which prob would sort that issue out ???

View more options

So I bought a 3rd party router and have set it up....

Speeds have increased a bit.. 

I will wait to see on disconnections... and report back.

1 thing I can't now get is the Vodafone sync speed within the app of anyone knows why that not there now ??

View more options

Please continue to keep us updated @Ianl49 and let us know if there's any further improvement 👍

We can't do any testing with a third party router, so this will be why you can't see your sync speed in the app any longer; sorry for any inconvenience this might cause. 

View more options

Ok will do...

So far so good.

But with speeds up a few mbps on down and up it suggests the supplied router decreases the speed when comes into the house...

View more options