Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Error Code 691 on K3765

Castrotane
Not applicable
I have a very strange problem. I have a K3765 Dongle. I can connect perfectly on GPRS, which of course is very slow, however I cannot connect on 3G even though I have a fairly good signal, between 1 and 3 bars. I keep on getting Error Code 691 (NOT 619!). I have tried all the usual remedies!

I have a Acer Extense 5230 laptop running Vista Home basic.

Please can you help.
3 REPLIES 3

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Castrotane,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always great to see new faces on here :).

This does sound like a rather strange issue as error 691 generally means there was an authentication error, I'm not quite sure why this would only occur on 3G and not GPRS. I've had a look in your profile and can't see a valid postcode, would you be able to supply this so I can check for any possible network issues in your area?

Now, assuming there are no network issues I'd recommend trying the following. Firstly, try connecting with the dial-up connection instead of the VMC (Vodafone Mobile Connect) software as follows:

-Click Start
-Click Connect To
-Click VMC
-Click Connect

If this fails then I'd recommend removing all Vodafone software, drivers and connections as follows. Firstly removing the drivers:

-Click Start
-Click Control Panel
-Double Click System
-Click Device Manager
-Expand Modems and delete any instances of Huwaei
-Expand Ports and delete any instances of Huwaei
-Expand CD/DVD and delete any instances of Huwaei
-Expand universal Serial Bus Controllers and delete the mass storage and composite devices

Next the Connection

-Click Start
-Click Control Panel
-Double click Network and Sharing Centre
-Click Manage Network Connections
-Right Click on VMC and then left click delete

Finally the software

-Unplug the modem and ensure VMC is closed by going to File > Exit
-Click Start
-Click Control Panel
-Double Click Programs and Features
-Click Remove/Uninstall on VMC
-Once this is done restart the PC

Once all of this has been done then plug the modem back in. It should re-install everything correctly, try connecting again. I'd also ensure that you've got the correct account type setup in the VMC software as follows: Settings > Account type (the software will default to prepay for this modem model) If you still experience issues then I'd recommend creating a manual dial-up connection to connect with the modem, this can be done as follows:

-Click Start
-Click Control Panel
-Double click Phone and Modem Options
-If it asks for location info, fill this in
-Click on the modems tab
-Highlight the Huwaei modem and click properties
-Click Change Settings then click the advanced tab
-Where it asks for an extra initialisation command type in at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet" (for PAYG add pp. before internet)
-Press OK and then OK again
-In the control panel double click on Network and sharing centre
-Click on Setup a connection or network
-Choose "connect to the internet" as the connection
-Choose "no, I'll setup my connection manually"
-Choose "dial-up connection" as the connection type
-Enter the following details
-Username:web
-Password:web
-Phone number:*99#
-Connection name:Vodafone

Once this connection is created try connecting with it, it can be accessed again by going to Start > Connect To > Vodafone.

I hope that makes sense to you (it did when I was typing it anyway ;)), let me know how you get on :).

George
eForum Team

Castrotane
Not applicable
Hi Castrotane,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always great to see new faces on here :) .

This does sound like a rather strange issue as error 691 generally means there was an authentication error, I'm not quite sure why this would only occur on 3G and not GPRS. I've had a look in your profile and can't see a valid postcode, would you be able to supply this so I can check for any possible network issues in your area?

Now, assuming there are no network issues I'd recommend trying the following. Firstly, try connecting with the dial-up connection instead of the VMC (Vodafone Mobile Connect) software as follows:

-Click Start
-Click Connect To
-Click VMC
-Click Connect

If this fails then I'd recommend removing all Vodafone software, drivers and connections as follows. Firstly removing the drivers:

-Click Start
-Click Control Panel
-Double Click System
-Click Device Manager
-Expand Modems and delete any instances of Huwaei
-Expand Ports and delete any instances of Huwaei
-Expand CD/DVD and delete any instances of Huwaei
-Expand universal Serial Bus Controllers and delete the mass storage and composite devices

Next the Connection

-Click Start
-Click Control Panel
-Double click Network and Sharing Centre
-Click Manage Network Connections
-Right Click on VMC and then left click delete

Finally the software

-Unplug the modem and ensure VMC is closed by going to File > Exit
-Click Start
-Click Control Panel
-Double Click Programs and Features
-Click Remove/Uninstall on VMC
-Once this is done restart the PC

Once all of this has been done then plug the modem back in. It should re-install everything correctly, try connecting again. I'd also ensure that you've got the correct account type setup in the VMC software as follows: Settings > Account type (the software will default to prepay for this modem model) If you still experience issues then I'd recommend creating a manual dial-up connection to connect with the modem, this can be done as follows:

-Click Start
-Click Control Panel
-Double click Phone and Modem Options
-If it asks for location info, fill this in
-Click on the modems tab
-Highlight the Huwaei modem and click properties
-Click Change Settings then click the advanced tab
-Where it asks for an extra initialisation command type in at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet" (for PAYG add pp. before internet)
-Press OK and then OK again
-In the control panel double click on Network and sharing centre
-Click on Setup a connection or network
-Choose "connect to the internet" as the connection
-Choose "no, I'll setup my connection manually"
-Choose "dial-up connection" as the connection type
-Enter the following details
-Username:web
-Password:web
-Phone number:*99#
-Connection name:Vodafone

Once this connection is created try connecting with it, it can be accessed again by going to Start > Connect To > Vodafone.

I hope that makes sense to you (it did when I was typing it anyway ;) ), let me know how you get on :) .

George
eForum Team

Castrotane
Not applicable
Thank you for that... It will probably take me all day to do it! But I will get back in touch to let you know... I am actually in Galicia North West Spain, but couldnt get any sense out of Vodafone here so I joined your forum. Thanks again