Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Error Message 1722 On Modem Installation

Polly Phonic
Not applicable
USB Stick Modem K3520 (recent upgrade from the E220). Dell Studio XPS 16 running Vistra Ultimate SP1. Only had this laptop for a week. Before then the modem worked on a different XPS XP Pro laptop

I have a real problem when I install the modem. Into the USB port, VCM Lite 9.3 Setup starts up and runs through the procedure for a while then hangs with an Error Message 1722 Windows Installer etc. Click OK & the installer back tracks & removes everything. Nothing I can do to bypass it. Have installed all the latest Vista updates incl Windows Installer 4.5

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Have switched off firewall & AV - same thing. Stupid thing is the modem installs & works fine on my daughters cheap Vostro with Vista HP. Is this perhaps an Ultimate thing?

Any of you geniuses out there know a work around? I tried Vodafone TS but they said it must be a Dell problem. Tried Dell TS & they say it's a Vodafone problem.

Have gone back to using the E220 which installs perfectly & works - was there any point to the upgrade I only use it occassionaly for web surfing & email work - especially abroad. Is there a noticeable difference in speed between the two?

Thanks everyone
3 REPLIES 3

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Polly

Welcome to the eForum, :)

My first thought would be that it is indeed a Vista Ultimate issue, however I’ve known the exact same modem to work on identical operating Systems.

My initial suggestion would be to download and install the full version of VMC 9.3, the software is identical but provides an alternative means of installation, (in case the problem is only associated with Vodafone Lite).

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

Polly Phonic
Not applicable
Hi Reidar & thanks for your reply

I have tried to install that program with no success at all. In fact, once installed it shows up in all the right places but I cannot get it to start up at all. I click on it, pointer whizzes for a second or two then nothing. The program Mobile Connect is in my Task Manager but I cannot see it anywhere on the screen.

The stick modem doesn't open it automatically as it should. I think this is a Vista thing. There must be a setting somewhere in amongst all the billions of other Vista settings.

Funnily enough my old "slow" USB modem works a treat on the same laptop using its own software so I shall probably revert to using that & stick the stick in a drawer somewhere!!

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Polly,

What an annoying issue :(

It sounds to me at first glance like the old software has not completely been uninstalled before attempting to install the new version, which is causing your problems.

First, go into Control Panel and Uninstall any entries you have for Vodafone Mobile Connect or VMC Lite

Next, delete the Vodafone folder from your Program Files folder on your hard drive.

Finally, click on Start > Run > Regedit
Press OK.

Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE
Delete any Vodafone folders.
Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE
Delete any Vodafone folders.

Reboot your computer, and then re-attempt the installation by plugging in the modem.

If you're still getting the 1722 error, this suggests that for whatever reason, files are not being copied correctly to the computer. The easiest way to resolve this is going to be to fool the PC into thinking the software has already installed. To do this, simply copy the Vodafone folder from Program Files on your daughter's computer, across into your Program Files folder. You may also need to go into Windows > System32 and copy a file called ewusbmdm.sys from her machine to your system32 folder as well.

Now when you try to install, it should detect that the files are already present and load correctly.

Let me know if you have any problems at any point :)

Jon

eForum Team