Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Full VMB software throws exception on startup

gingerm
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

We have a client who has been struggling to make use of a white dongle (sorry, we support them remotely so don't have model details, yet). The system attempts to install the VMC Lite software on insertion of the dongle but doesn't complete.

Consequently, we downloaded the most recent version of the full Vodafone Mobile Broadband software from http://www.business.vodafone.com/site/bus/public/enuk/support/10_productsupport/laptop_connectivity/... [OT]I have to say, the Vodafone site wasn't exactly easy to navigate but the recently revamped site is positively IMPENETRABLE. I had to use Google to locate this download :-(. [/OT]

This installed successfully and the system rebooted. Sadly, a debug trace of an exception is displayed as the software starts, whether by double-clicking the desktop icon, or inserting the dongle. The attached image shows the window that contains the full trace, however, the salient line is: System.TypeInitializatinException: The type initializer for 'Vodafone.Data.Opcos' threw an exception. ---> System.Management.ManagementException: Not Found

The software has been removed and reinstalled with the same results.

The system is a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 with Windows XP Pro SP3.

Any pointers?

25 REPLIES 25

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)
We have had problems with the latest version of the software, and have gone back to installing the 10.1.108 flavour from the same site.

Tks! I'll try and contact the client and see what mileage I get out of doing that.

Client has got back to us and the dongle model is a Vodafone K3770, which according to the Technical Specification was only supported by the VMB software at version 10.2.200. Given the lack of support for this dongle, I'm not sure it's even worthwhile installing 10.1.108 as the dongle won't work in any case. Any other ideas?

TIA

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi gingerm,

This is an unusual error I've not seen before, so I've asked for a little assistance from our technical experts and I'm just waiting on the response. As soon as I hear back, we'll let you know.

In the meantime, can you just confirm for me that the user installing the software has administrator privileges on their profile? If these are not present, this might explain why both versions of the software are hitting blocks of some kind.

Dave

Hi again,

At this point, the most likely culprit would appear to be a partially-installed version of the software.

Can you use the "Add/remove programs "option in the control panel to remove any Vodafone software on the PC. You may also find it useful to run a clean-up tool to pick up any fragments of code or file left in place.

Also, did you get any specific error when the original software stopped installing?

Dave

I've had some further suggestions for checks from my colleague in technical:

Can you confirm that the computer in question meets the minimum requirements for the software?

Please also confirm the date/time settings on the PC are correct.

Finally, can you try the dongle in another computer to see if the install is successful? This may indicate the cause lies with the PC itself rather than the software or the dongle.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the responses. It's been a bit manic. To answer the first question, yes, the software was installed under an administrative account. We have uninstalled both the stripped down dongle version and the full VMB software but will go through another attempt with a cleanup too. I will also check if they have access to another computer.

Either way, I'll get back to you once I've contacted the client. Thanks.

Just to bring closure to the thread. We've uninstalled the latest version of the software completely. Placed the SIM in a older carrier that is supported by older software. Installed v9 of the software from CD. This version actually runs, but on first run failed to find any devices. Removed those listed, reinserted the dongle, and manually added the device. The software established a connection successfully and the user was able to browse / connect to the net.

They are happy they can get online when out and about.

Sadly, however, we have not been able to get to the bottom of why the software crashes. Before we removed it today, the error appeared on logon of the admin user profile; the software must have been configured to start on windows login. I wonder therefore if the issue could be related to the fact the software wants to manage all network connections by default instead of just the 3G connections. Ultimately, though, it means none of us are any the wiser for the issue. Don't really like leaving a problem like this unresolved, but if the client's happy then there is nothing else to do but put it to bed.

Hi Team:

I'm facing exactly same issue. I've tried versions 'PC Software v10.0.201' and 'PC Software v10.2.302' with no luck! I do not have v9.x.yyy. Could some one help me with this issue please.

My Laptop is WinXp Pro SP3

I would be happy to provide any info to help on this issue.

TIA

Bhaskara Karedla

Juniper Networks