Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K4505 Modem - Error 777

gaz23g
4: Newbie
Hi guys have just bought a K4505 dongle updated vmc to 9.4.6 as instructed and works fine, my problem is that now i can't use my dial-up connection (which i prefer) i keep getting an error 777 code which voda say is a locked sim or something similar i know 100% my sim is fine and dial-up still works if i use my K3765 dongle. i have deleted the 3765 from my system in case it was causing a conflict but still no joy :wacko: voda said they haven't got a clue why this is happening can anybody else help please i prefer the faster dial-up method?
if you can help with a problem great do it. If your just here to ###### people off then sod off!!
15 REPLIES 15

ElCapitan
Hi guys have just bought a K4505 dongle updated vmc to 9.4.6 as instructed and works fine, my problem is that now i can't use my dial-up connection (which i prefer) i keep getting an error 777 code which voda say is a locked sim or something similar i know 100% my sim is fine and dial-up still works if i use my K3765 dongle. i have deleted the 3765 from my system in case it was causing a conflict but still no joy :wacko: voda said they haven't got a clue why this is happening can anybody else help please i prefer the faster dial-up method?

Which version of Windows are you using?

This seems to work for XP in some cases:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Network Connections.
On the Advanced menu, click Operator-Assisted Dialing to turn it off.
Retest

gaz23g
thanks for the quick reply meant to put i'm running windows 7
if you can help with a problem great do it. If your just here to ###### people off then sod off!!

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi gaz23g.

That's quite strange because, the Vodafone mobile connect dashboard does actually use a dial up in the back end.

Are you using a custom DUN or the one that VMC manually creates?

It may be worth recreating the DUN.
These are the steps for XP (it’s very similar for Vista/7):

• Go to Start > Control Panel
  • Double Click on Phone and Modem Options (Fill in the location info if it asks)
  • Click the Modems Tab
  • Highlight the Huwaei Modem and click Properties
  • Click the Advanced Tab and type in the following where it asks for an extra initialisation command: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"
  • Press OK and then OK again
  • In the Control Panel double click on Network Connections
  • Click on Create New Connection/New Connection Wizard
  • Choose Connect To The Internet and press Next
  • Choose Setup My Connection Manually and press Next
  • Choose Connect Using A Dial-Up Modem and press Next
  • Type in Vodafone when it asks for an ISP name and press Next
  • The phone number needs to be *99#, press Next
  • Username and Password and both web press Next and then create the connection.

Let me know how you get on with this.

All the best
BenJ_Vodafone
eForum team

gaz23g
it will not let me enter the extra initialisation command it just stays greyed out?

gaz23g
btw the dun i'm using is *99***16#"ip","internet"

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi gaz23g,

The initialisation command box will be greyed out due to the User Access Control security feature in Windows Vista and 7. In order to edit this you just need to click the change settings button that can be found in the general tab once you've clicked modem properties.

Let me know how you get on :).

George
eForum Team

gaz23g
thanks fo the prompt replies much appreciated i did what you said but still no joy have just talked to one of your tech guys and he seems to think the dongle is faultyand has sent another one out so we shall see another thing i've noticed is the signal strength on the 4505 is 2 bars lower than that of the 3765??? oh and the dashboard dial-up does not work eiher

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hey there gaz23g,

It's a shame to read that you're still suffering difficulties with your modem, but if you're having another sent to you, this might do the trick. Please keep us up to date with how you get on!

Also, have you tried the Start menu > Connect > VMC option? This will bypass the Vodafone Mobile Connect, and may help - might as well give it a go!

Daz

eForum Team

gaz23g
well got my replacement 4505 and still no joy on the dial-up issue! but can use vmc i suppose. I must admit though i'm very disapointed with the performance of the 4505 because the signal strength is always 2 and usually 3 or 4 bars less than the 3765 hence the download speed is not even half as good as my old dongle so i think voda can have this dongle back and i'll save myself £40 in the process suppose it's the usual story of suppliers promising the world and actually falling short on delivery this is not a particular pop at voda i think the service in general is very good but a pop at all suppliers who make promises just to get the custom?!?!