Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Usb Dongle - Ras Error Code 680

Rover75
4: Newbie
Hi,
Please can someone help with my Vodagfone Mobile connect USB stick. :wacko:

I have a Huawei K3565 - Rev 2 usb mobile connect stick to use with my Compaq V6254 laptop running Vista home premium.

I got it during the summer holidays and initially I was able to connect without problem either through GPRS or 3G when available. I even used it earlier this week but had problems with the device being detected by the bundled software (lite version). Eventually it connected and I was able to complete my work. :rolleyes:

On my return home I tried to connect the dongle again but it either was not detected or came up with the "RAS error code 680" when it tried to connect to a GPRS network.

I have now spent 2 days trying to get this dongle working (I am reasonably knowledgable with computers) but I can't think of anything else to do! :angry:

I have tried the following:-
Uninstalled the software (twice) and reinstalled
Downloaded full version 9.4.3.16284 installed, uninstalled, reinstalled
Uninstalled hardware and reinstalled
Tried changing the com port (currently 9)
Tried ALL the usb ports
Disabled antivirus software whilst installing
Disabled built in network adapter
Ensured all windows updates installed
Various other things that I can't even remember

Now - the dongle is usually detected by the software but EVERY time I try to connect to the detected network, I get the 680 error. I know this means - no dial tone - but I cannot think of anything else to do.

I have researched at length for any remedy to this problem - which seems quite common - but the only solution seems to involve opening the window first (the glass one I mean!!!)

Please - Please can someone help as I need this working when I go away.

Thanks - Rover
5 REPLIES 5

Retired-PaulE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Rover,

Welcome to the eForum :D

Have you tried removing the modems from "phone and modem options" inside the control panel?

Also, check your SIM for an active network - pop it into as handset and see if you can access Vodafone Live.

If you can, plug it back in and try to reconnect.

Let me know how you get on ;)

Paul
eForum Team

Martin261
Not applicable
Hi.

Just a thought try checking your setting for Contract or Prepay.
Default is contract, if it is wrong it will never connect and give a RAS error.

Martin.

Rover75
Hi Rover,

Welcome to the eForum :D

Have you tried removing the modems from "phone and modem options" inside the control panel?

Also, check your SIM for an active network - pop it into as handset and see if you can access Vodafone Live.

If you can, plug it back in and try to reconnect.

Let me know how you get on ;)

Paul
eForum Team

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

There is no entry for the modem in the "Phone & Modem" option - which is strange as there is one in the ports ans usb sections of the device manager.

I popped the sim into a mobile phone but was unable to connect to anything other than check my balance!

However I have now got it working by removing every entry in device manager for the modem - rebooting with the modem inserted (every other time it locked up the pc) - changing the ports to a high number - and hey presto it connected.

No idea why it should have lost all its information - I did nothing to the pc inbetween it working and not - but there we go - another reason to consider Linux??

Thanks for the help and speedy reply

Rover

Rover75
Hi.

Just a thought try checking your setting for Contract or Prepay.
Default is contract, if it is wrong it will never connect and give a RAS error.

Martin.

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the speedy reply and suggestion - unfortunately Prepay was already selected.

However I have now - after much reconfiguring - got it working. Don't know how Mr Average would have solved this??

Thanks anyway

Rover

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Rover,

I know what you mean however, I am pleased to see that you have got this resolved and you are up and running again, happy surfing. :)

James
eForum Team