cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

100% Proof of throttling twitch iptv etc.

mrmarkyuk
10: Established

Here's the proof of throttling - Once I vpn out of the vodafone throttling wall twitch is working perfect at full video source.

PROOF of  throttling  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqlPPGcv6Q 

It looks like throttling is around between 3.8 - 4 - once I hit up onto the vpn you will notice i'm up at around 10 and playback is perfect

There's too many other customers on here reporting the exact same issue for it to be a problem our side - I've tested multiple routers etc to rule that out - I created this new thread because now we can see it really is a vodafone problem.

this is my speed 
7929135659.png

Can you give an estimation when this will be changed back?

804 REPLIES 804

mbames
13: Advanced Member

ID Net,  BT, Sky, etc. plenty to pick from!

Have a quick read up on thinkbroaband forums to help as well.  Some ISPs react when you report faults, and some like VF just stick their heads into the sand and keep stock piling your cash for a shonky service.

Absolutely fuming at basically being called a liar by Vodafone but shouldnt be too surprised.  After having to wait 4 days before I was able to perform the next lot of tests requested at the weekend (only time I could do morning and afternoon as Im working during the week) and providing the screen grabs requested, heres the response :

From:  All customers are liars (not allowed to put the original sending email from Vodafone apparently so changed it to something more apt...)
Sent: 04 February 2019 12:57
To: REMOVED
Subject: Re: EFT195 [#20275579]

We appreciate you sending those images to us James, I've looked over these and there's no evidence of packet loss and the ping speed is well within range we'd expect.

You can look to try changing the DNS settings on the router to see if this improves the streaming side of things, we do need to advise that our Technical Team will see no fault and as such wouldn't allow the contract to be terminated with fees.

To change the settings please see below:

-Type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar
- Click internet in top red bar
- DNS and DDNS settings on the left 
- Change this to manual
- DNS address enter 8.8.8.8 top 8.8.4.4 at the bottom
- Click Apply

Please be aware that any parental or content controls will be overridden in this instance and will need to be restored.

Regards,

I changed these settings a month ago - I clearly stated it works fine on VPN when I sent in my screen grabs like Joe suggested.  Its all well and fine moderators on here saying the more instances reported the better but when you recieve replies like the one above, are you surprised no one is willing to do what is asked of them, especially when your colleagues call your customers liars?  Time to lodge my official complaint.  Disgusting behaviour.

Jimbo

The fact that they think changing DNS will help improve streaming speed tells you all you need to know about that reply.

mrmarkyuk

Joe.... 

Stop Copying and Pasting - EVERYONE has this problem on here why not um.... fix it? 

report it as a major problem instread of pretending it's an invidiual user issue,  Are you actually trained or just copying and pasting everything? 

Deanstenner
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi. For months now hd streams constantly pause. Cant watch any hd channels without constant pausing ever 10 seconds or so. 

Ive tried online help but they never see it through and i just give up. Have spoken to help and they always promise to call back but never do.

Been plugin and unplugging cables. Speed tests etc etc. But still my broadband at ho.e.wont let me stream HD content without pausing. 

I realy do need some serious help as its driving my family insane. 

Im supposed to get 70 plus Mb. Why is this happening? Help!!

gipjon
16: Advanced member

Think you need to read this they are loads of posts saying the same thing

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/100-Proof-of-throttling-twitch-iptv-etc/m-p/262...

Anonymous
Not applicable

A lot of customers, not all apparently, are suffering the same problem. It started mid November 2018 and causes a problem with some streaming, downloading etc. Some speedcheckers are unaffected and will give you OK results, others (including amusingly the "London - Vodafone" ookla/spedtest server) will give very poor results, "fast.com" the speedtest service aimed at testing Netflix is similarly affected.

From the looks of it it is a big issue with some parts of the Vodafone core infrastructure, undercapacity or throttling.

Some users are using VPNs to get round the issue, as the traffic gets routed differently, but you shouldn't really have to.

gipjon

Hi Deanstenner,

Out of interest what services are you streaming (e.g. Netflix, twitch etc) and whereabouts are you located?

All vodafone customers are unable to stream in HD apparently they don't offer that service now according to customer support.

However there is a simple trick and it works to hide the data behind a VPN this will stop vodafone throttling the streaming traffic and you can watch without any bufffering - I would suggest moving to another isp once your out of contract or make a formal complaint and they will lower your montly costs, I got mine down to a decent price then installed a 2nd phone line with BT and got BT to Install fibre onto the new line - once the contracts up with vodafone I'll close that line.

This vpn service offers a free method of using it's services for 6 days >> https://protonvpn.com   it will only work on a pc or iphone but you can choose other good vpn's (this is just a example)   You will be able to stream pefectly well again while using the vpn.