cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

100% Proof of throttling twitch iptv etc.

mrmarkyuk
10: Established
10: Established

Here's the proof of throttling - Once I vpn out of the vodafone throttling wall twitch is working perfect at full video source.

PROOF of  throttling  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqlPPGcv6Q 

It looks like throttling is around between 3.8 - 4 - once I hit up onto the vpn you will notice i'm up at around 10 and playback is perfect

There's too many other customers on here reporting the exact same issue for it to be a problem our side - I've tested multiple routers etc to rule that out - I created this new thread because now we can see it really is a vodafone problem.

this is my speed 
7929135659.png

Can you give an estimation when this will be changed back?

804 REPLIES 804

RIPTwitch
6: Helper
6: Helper

Hey! add me to the list,

1080p/720p 60 with a VPN = No Buffering.

1080p/720p 60 without a VPN = Good luck watching Summit kiddo.

FeelsBadMan

I'm not sure if this is helpful what so ever?

1080p 60

help1.png

720p

720.png

In this thread I performed some tests with a friend (who gets full speeds on fast.com) to try and rule out as many variables as possible. The last test I did was very interesting. Here is a summary: we both downloaded exactly the same file and got a huge speed difference. The routes to the host are identical apart from the initial dslgb.com one yet I get slow she gets fast.

Yet that host is also used for any outgoing route of mine and some of them are at maxed out speed.

Seeing the speeds at which my IPTV max out, on a 38Mbps Fibre connection with 40Mbps sync speed anything beyond 4.2 MBps will not work. There is definitely throtlling going on, I am waiting for either Vodafone price increase or might buy out the contract just to get out of this mess.

Totally agree with you on the throttling Vinny.

It isn't affecting everyone though, which is interesting. Possibly affecting all customers in certain geographical locations?

@RIPTwitch - If I understand your twitch output correctly it looks like your download speed has absolutely no chance of keeping up with the 1080p bitrate (2-4Mbps vs 7-9Mbps). It looks like most of the time it keeps up with the 720p one, but at times dips below it so you probably get buffering then.

Vinny and RIPTwitch - would you mind sharing where you are located?

@vodz My location is Harrow, London (HA5 postcode)..

Update -

Having spoken to the social media time over the last 8 weeks, it appears this is a known issue that only affects customers from specific locations. I live near Manchester, I wonder if any of you do too.

They refused to let me leave the contract early, despite admitting this was a vodafone issue. Insisting that because I was able to access the site, and my connection speeds are above the guarenteed speed, that they have not broken the contract with me. Even whilst acknowledging I am not able to use Twitch due to their technical fault?!

In response to my complaints they gave me 2 months free braodband and 50GB to stream Twitch from my mobile. But more importantly they agreed that if the issue is not resolved by end of April then I can leave Vodafone penalty free. So despite still having internet that doesn't work I now have a light at the end of the tunnel.

After all this, I will never be returning to Vodafone (mobile or broadband) and will recommend to friends and family that they avoid like the plague.

As well as changing the DNS on the router , dont forget to change the DNS on the actual device network settings. So if you have 8.8.8.8 on the router make sure youve got the same on your pc/box/tablet. I could be wrong but i think the device has priority over the router settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bilko99 by default the DNS IPs held by the router are issued to devices by the DHCP server built into the router.  If you manually set the DNS IPs on individual devices these manual settings override those issued by the router for the specific individual device.

In many (not all) cases if you change the DNS IPs held on the router, individual devices will continue to use the DNS IPs issued to them the last time they obtained a lease from the DHCP server.  You can always force an update by using "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew" from the command prompt.

Many routers will also keep a local cache of DNS queries to speed up results.

DNS servers only provide an end-point address, routing is handled by tables on intermediate internet switches.  So unless there is a problem (wrong region, out of date, tampered etc) changing DNS server will not (should not) change the intermediate routing.  *Intermediate routing is dynamic, and influenced by congestion and broken connections.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi all, I've merged most of these threads on this same issue to keep them all in one place and help as many people as possible.

We're listening to all your feedback and the issues you're raising on the Vodafone Community, thank you all for your help and patience. We're investigating this further with our 3rd Line DSL Networks team and we'll keep you posted with an update soon.

About damn time.

Let's pray something is done about this.