main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

100% Proof of throttling twitch iptv etc.

3: Seeker

I'm located near Telford/Shrewsbury.

I should also say I didn't find any other issues with the connection apart from this streaming problem.

View more options

Update -

Having spoken to the social media time over the last 8 weeks, it appears this is a known issue that only affects customers from specific locations. I live near Manchester, I wonder if any of you do too.

They refused to let me leave the contract early, despite admitting this was a vodafone issue. Insisting that because I was able to access the site, and my connection speeds are above the guarenteed speed, that they have not broken the contract with me. Even whilst acknowledging I am not able to use Twitch due to their technical fault?!

In response to my complaints they gave me 2 months free braodband and 50GB to stream Twitch from my mobile. But more importantly they agreed that if the issue is not resolved by end of April then I can leave Vodafone penalty free. So despite still having internet that doesn't work I now have a light at the end of the tunnel.

After all this, I will never be returning to Vodafone (mobile or broadband) and will recommend to friends and family that they avoid like the plague.

View more options
6: Helper

@Vodz

NP20

Newport, wales.

View more options
12: Established

Weymouth

DT4

View more options
10: Established

All vodafone customers are unable to stream in HD apparently they don't offer that service now according to customer support.

However there is a simple trick and it works to hide the data behind a VPN this will stop vodafone throttling the streaming traffic and you can watch without any bufffering - I would suggest moving to another isp once your out of contract or make a formal complaint and they will lower your montly costs, I got mine down to a decent price then installed a 2nd phone line with BT and got BT to Install fibre onto the new line - once the contracts up with vodafone I'll close that line.

This vpn service offers a free method of using it's services for 6 days >> https://protonvpn.com   it will only work on a pc or iphone but you can choose other good vpn's (this is just a example)   You will be able to stream pefectly well again while using the vpn.

View more options
2: Seeker

Hi,

Add me to the list too.

Been having the same problems myself since just before Christmas. Keep getting fobbed off by support.

Here's my own video proof of the exact same problems, then disappearing through a VPN:

https://files.facepunch.com/adam/080219184318/vpn.mp4

Bloxwich/Walsall area.

Grrrrrr.

View more options
2: Seeker

Throttling certain connections is definitely something that's been switched on by Vodafone sometime in the last couple of months.

A site I use regularly previously streamed up to 8MB/s (single thread) whereas it is now 250kb/s maximum.

Single thread speed test shows up to 8MB/s as expected.

The service is generally very poor. We should be getting 60MB/s bandwidth but 9 times out of 10 speedtests are maxing out around 20MB/s.

And this experience  is all via a wired connection.

That's just one problem. The wireless signal is ridiculously unpredictable. Some wireless devices regularly lose connection.

It's so obvious from all the complaints that Vodafone simply don't have the bandwidth to serve their customers appropriately and now it seems they've resorted to throttling in desperation.

View more options
4: Newbie

This doesn't affect everyone. I've been doing some experiments with a friend and found huge variations in transfer rates between us. By transferring the same test files fast.com uses I get 3-400KBps and she gets 1.5MBps in one case. Other examples are even more dramatic. We both ran tracert and get identical results.

So the same files, same time of day, identical routes. Yet one user gets transfers 3x slower than the other.

Note that some of my speedtest results (the "approved BT Lancs" one for example) produce transfer rates entirely consistent with my sync speed.

I'd love to know if there is any explanation other than throttling but I can't think of one.

View more options

Hey @Deanstenner, sorry you're having an issue with streaming TV. 

How are you testing this? Wi-Fi, or do you have something plugged in with an Ethernet cable?

Blair

View more options

As well as changing the DNS on the router , dont forget to change the DNS on the actual device network settings. So if you have 8.8.8.8 on the router make sure youve got the same on your pc/box/tablet. I could be wrong but i think the device has priority over the router settings.

View more options
Highlighted

Blair.

Its all devices via wifi or cable. 

I ran a lan cable from my android box to my socket on the router. Still stop starts. 

Mobile android box smart tv.

Any iptv hd channel stream stop starts. 

View more options
14: Advanced member

@bilko99 by default the DNS IPs held by the router are issued to devices by the DHCP server built into the router.  If you manually set the DNS IPs on individual devices these manual settings override those issued by the router for the specific individual device.

In many (not all) cases if you change the DNS IPs held on the router, individual devices will continue to use the DNS IPs issued to them the last time they obtained a lease from the DHCP server.  You can always force an update by using "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew" from the command prompt.

Many routers will also keep a local cache of DNS queries to speed up results.

DNS servers only provide an end-point address, routing is handled by tables on intermediate internet switches.  So unless there is a problem (wrong region, out of date, tampered etc) changing DNS server will not (should not) change the intermediate routing.  *Intermediate routing is dynamic, and influenced by congestion and broken connections.

View more options

Hi all, I've merged most of these threads on this same issue to keep them all in one place and help as many people as possible.

We're listening to all your feedback and the issues you're raising on the Vodafone Community, thank you all for your help and patience. We're investigating this further with our 3rd Line DSL Networks team and we'll keep you posted with an update soon.

View more options
6: Helper

About damn time.

Let's pray something is done about this.

View more options

@TJ is there a reference number?  I'll need something when I need speak to the Directors Office about this, otherwise I suspect they fob me off again....

View more options

(duplicate post)

View more options

At last!  Recognition from a moderator that Vodafone might actually look into this and not your usual copy n paste script and fob offs... 

Fingers crossed everyone that they fix it soon!!

Jimbo

View more options

Tj wrote Hi all, I've merged most of these threads on this same issue to keep them all in one place and help as many people as possible

Hey tj Is that because you been told to move all the throttling thread in to one thread to try and hide the fact that there is throttling . instead of customers opening the forum and seeing loads if thread saying throttling etc 

View more options
10: Established

Don't let us down,  what's left of the customer base is depending on you...  I don't have much hope but at least it's actually something.

Customer :   Hey Voda are you throttling certain ports...

Voda: Nope (Evil Laugh) 

Unfortunaly myself and others that know a lot of tehical stuff know 100% you are throttling and as gipjon said you are putting all these into 1 thread to make it look less of a problem because we know how your scamming tactics work. 

View more options

I don't believe a word of that tj . The other thread about vodafone router not working correctly . you said was being investigated by the 3 third line team over a year old . You cant even give any updates or any thing  in a year . A £37 billion pound company  that dont know they own broadband is not working right or the router are not 100% is just bull crap . I was reading a thread from I think was early 2018 and that was supposed to be investigated by the third line team same issue throttling . So vodafone already know why . 

I think I know why 

The reason is vodafone sold all it's customer to plus net when they sold the broadband off in i think 2012 . And when they decided to start selling broadband again .vodafone said they was going to use they own out of date existing fibre cable network and also contract other isp in area where they could not supply etc 

So the only real answer is leave because vodafone are not giving you what you are paying for  or complaint to Ofcom or both 

View more options