main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

100% Proof of throttling twitch iptv etc.

14: Advanced member

Found the post 

In a statement, Vodafone explained: "Vodafone UK will roll out residential broadband services from spring 2015. The service will be based on Vodafone's existing fixed infrastructure, with more than 20,500km of fibre. Additional coverage will be provided through wholesale and co-location."

What that essentially means is that Vodafone will use its own fibre network where it can, but use BT's infrastructure elsewhere.

Full story here 

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/news/broadband/vodafone-is-about-to-start-selling-broadband-00039

View more options
13: Advanced Member

"Its own fibre network", is essentially the Cable & Wireless Worldwide network.  In essence they bought an old, out of date network and probably haven't upgraded anything and the results are obvious to see today: It is pants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17810568

View more options
4: Newbie

I mentioned before I'd been running some tests with a friend but I hadn't posted many actual results. To recap: she is in Leamington Spa on Superfast 1 (40/10 sync). I'm in Prestatyn, North Wales on Superfast 2 (72/20 sync). We both use ethernet connections.

This is my friend using Vodafone London (37.59/9.00)

This is me using Vodafone London (20.82/18.82)

This is me with BT Preston (66.77/18.69)

Images for each, first my friend:

And now my two:

So two people using the same destination at the same time of day get significantly different results. Despite me having the (in theory) quicker Superfast 2 my results are markedly worse than someone on Superfast 1. It isn't a local issue becasue I'm getting full speed on BT Preston.  In both cases I get pretty much full speed upload.

This is just one of many similar examples some of which are considerably more dramatic (such as fast.com) but it's harder to post proof here. I considered if it might be some routes being congested but in some of the tests the routes are identical between my friend and I apart from the initial hop.

My only conclusion is that VF network has (for whatever reason) decided I should get a slower connection to some destinations compared to my friend. As to why, well draw your own conclusions on that one.

View more options

You & friend should both tracert to speedtest.vodafone.co.uk

and see which gateway you are going though.  generally it is the second hop.

C:\Users\matth>tracert speedtest.vodafone.co.uk

Tracing route to speedtest.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.159.229] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.100.254
2 7 ms 7 ms 9 ms host-212-158-250-33.dslgb.com [212.158.250.33]
3 23 ms 32 ms 8 ms 63.130.127.221
4 10 ms 10 ms 12 ms 213.185.195.233
5 * 213.185.195.233 reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

View more options
6: Helper

Here is mine.

C:\Users\Callum>tracert speedtest.vodafone.co.uk

Tracing route to speedtest.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.159.229]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  vodafone.broadband [192.168.1.1]
  2    21 ms    17 ms    22 ms  host-212-158-250-33.dslgb.com [212.158.250.33]
  3    18 ms    18 ms    19 ms  63.130.127.221
  4    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  213.185.195.233
  5  213.185.195.233  reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

View more options

Shame cr@ppy gateway that I connect through as well.  Would be interesting to see if VF users on the 40/10 service use different gateways than those on 80/20.

View more options

@mbames wrote:

Shame cr@ppy gateway that I connect through as well.  Would be interesting to see if VF users on the 40/10 service use different gateways than those on 80/20.

Maybe.

Please post if you're using Superfast 1 or 2

View more options

Hi everyone, if you’re experiencing Home Broadband speeds which are only resolved when you connect to a VPN, I’ve sent you a private message with steps on how to get in touch.  

We’d like to look into this and may need to give you a call to complete some diagnostics before escalating further. When you get in touch, please also provide us with a few dates and times that would suit for a chat.

View more options

Yes I thought a certain route/gateway might be the "slow lane" or "naughty step" but that appears not to be the case. Some people have identical routes to the same host and still there are very significant speed differences.

I tried to rule out as many variables as possible during the extensive testing I've done such as local bottlenecks, oddities of speedtest etc.

The test that finally convinced me something strange was going on was a simple https file transfer. My friend and I downloaded exactly the same file (i.e. the same URL) and still got the dramatic speed difference. Other than the gateway address the outputs of tracert matched.

I've not asked my friend to run tracert to speedtest.vodafone.co.uk but other tracert results show her gateway address is 212.158.250.33.

My gateway address (Superfast 2) is 212.158.250.38.

Oh and one other snippet of information in case it is significant: I use Netflix, my friend does not.

View more options
Highlighted
14: Advanced member

Think the answer is all ready said in the vodafone statement. you can post as many speed test results as you like. but unless you are also going to complain to Ofcom there is not much point .there is a identical thread to this one at the start of 2018 also with Vodafone moderate saying they are looking in the throttling and speed issue .And a year later the only answer is still the same leave and join another isp . This forum  is just another form of control to stop you complaint to ofcom . 

View more options

Very interesting.. I came downstairs this morning to no Internet at all on my broadband and a message on my phone asking me to sign into my wifi.  Opened that, hit the reconnect button on the Vodafone router screen that came up and all seemed to be fine.  I wrongly optimistically wondered if that means my issue is being looked into or even resolved but alas no - everything is the same - buffering when streaming live tv every 5 seconds with no vpn  but there is a slight difference - fast.com tells me Im actually not connected to the internet at all now lol :fastcom.JPG

Just had a look at my logs on the router and until the point I reconnected, they are just full of PPoE PADI sent messages - pages and pages of it...  Not sure if something wierd is going on - my server on speedtest.net is now  'Legaco Networks B.V.' - getting amazing scores  https://www.speedtest.net/result/8029595583 yet my Vodafone router still tells me Im syncing at 55Mbps and 14.5Mbps up : router1002.JPG

Jimbo

View more options

@Jenny, according to @TJ this problem is already being investigated. Is this the follow up that was promised?

View more options
10: Established

Just wondering if you could brief your customers on the latest,   and how long it will take before things are running smoothly again?

Here is the confirmation from the complaints department that you guys have problems. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for getting in touch about your recent experience. I’m really sorry this led to your email to our Customer Relations Team on 22 January 2019

Just to recap, when we spoke today on 30 January 2019, you explained that you are experiencing slow speed with IPTV application. Unable to watch videos without buffering.

To resolve this, we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused. Unfortunately we are unable to resolve this issue as it’s a third party application. Your download and surfing speed seems to above than guarantee speed however as we are unable to rectify this we have applied a 20% discount towards your monthly rental for next 18 month. Your monthly rental will now be £22.40.

-------------------------------------------------

View more options

Jenny we have done all that - the privates messages acomplished nothing,    we were told there is a problem at vodafone - I've enclosed the email I received from the complaints department - can we have a timeframe on when this will be fixed.

Thanks for getting in touch about your recent experience. I’m really sorry this led to your email to our Customer Relations Team on 22 January 2019

Just to recap, when we spoke today on 30 January 2019, you explained that you are experiencing slow speed with IPTV application. Unable to watch videos without buffering.

To resolve this, we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused. Unfortunately we are unable to resolve this issue as it’s a third party application. Your download and surfing speed seems to above than guarantee speed however as we are unable to rectify this we have applied a 20% discount towards your monthly rental for next 18 month. Your monthly rental will now be £22.40.

View more options

Well Ive got the problem with streaming live tv which only works when connected to a VPN since November but yet no private message from you Jenny - is that because Ive got a 'call in progress' at the moment about it?  I hope so.

Jimbo

View more options

There now removing posts - guess that's the progress then.

Screen Shot 02-10-19 at 06.52 PM.JPG

View more options

@Jenny wrote:

Hi everyone, if you’re experiencing Home Broadband speeds which are only resolved when you connect to a VPN, I’ve sent you a private message with steps on how to get in touch.  

We’d like to look into this and may need to give you a call to complete some diagnostics before escalating further. When you get in touch, please also provide us with a few dates and times that would suit for a chat.

Come on... You're not for real right?

We've ALL done this.. Nobody ever calls you back or emails you back. Live chat is useless, talking over the phone is useless because they're not English and or don't understand the problem we're having, they tell use to speak to teach 2. They're also useless btw.

You're also useless Jenny , it's all good and great telling us you're "looking" into the problem, but yet NOTHING is being done to fix it... Offering people 20% discount isn't good enough, we want this crap fixed. Or at least give us the easy option allowing us to leave VF for free.

We also need/WANT updates, REAL UPDATES. Not some copy and paste bull crap you got typed up on your notepad.

View more options

Curiously I've been on the phone with the Directors Office this afternoon, and they have once again said that they have investigated my fault (which is the standard slow network issue) and determine there is no fault at all.  So I am confused as to how Social Media support it has been passed to Level 3.  Maybe there is no communication within VF Towers..... or the email got stuck a backlog!

(images: someone said to post as gifs, as they appear immediately, rather than needing to be authorised)

View more options

It's confirmed you guys have a problem and your unable to fix it  - So if you can't fix the issue let us leave for free.

If you can't provide us with a service then let us leave for another internet company it's only fair - Your broadband service is only good for reading webpages - what your doing is theft.

---------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------

View more options

@mbames wrote:

Curiously I've been on the phone with the Directors Office this afternoon, and they have once again said that they have investigated my fault (which is the standard slow network issue) and determine there is no fault at all.  So I am confused as to how Social Media support it has been passed to Level 3.  Maybe there is no communication within VF Towers..... or the email got stuck a backlog!

(images: someone said to post as gifs, as they appear immediately, rather than needing to be authorised)

We'll be on level 10 - The final tech support boss, before anything is done...

View more options