cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

100% Proof of throttling twitch iptv etc.

mrmarkyuk
10: Established
10: Established

Here's the proof of throttling - Once I vpn out of the vodafone throttling wall twitch is working perfect at full video source.

PROOF of  throttling  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqlPPGcv6Q 

It looks like throttling is around between 3.8 - 4 - once I hit up onto the vpn you will notice i'm up at around 10 and playback is perfect

There's too many other customers on here reporting the exact same issue for it to be a problem our side - I've tested multiple routers etc to rule that out - I created this new thread because now we can see it really is a vodafone problem.

this is my speed 
7929135659.png

Can you give an estimation when this will be changed back?

804 REPLIES 804

@stevex

Better than what I am getting lol.  Tested the 1GB link at work just now- 8.4mbps (BT 75mbps connection)

If I use a VPN (common theme:Laughing_Face:) the speeds do improve greatly from the test links.

If I also try it using IDM (Multi connection) this also improves the speeds. Still, nowhere near the speeds I would expect from my actual connection speed.

Let's hope the issues affecting IPTV is also related to the very slow single connection download speeds.

If all you want to do is surf website's its all good :Smiling:

Same issue. 32 hops to get to a netflix server . Pixalated unwatable streaming tv. Good to read this as it least it explains the strange behaviour. Speedtests vary massivly depending on server, vodafone speedtest servers usually slowest. Nperf pretty much full speed. Have a 72mbs sync line, but goes down to unwatchable streaming. Many applications don't work. Had an ticket out with executive office, a while ago.. Service has always had problems but the throttling or bizarre routing vodafone does. This service isnt ready for paying customers. Especially considering the pitiful speeds Openreach is offering to not be able to then provide 72mbs, when parts of the world including Vodafone Spain offer 1000mbs or South Korea 10Gbs. Bucketshop internet.     

At the least let customers leave their contracts without penality, as a respected global telcoms company. The service is embarrassingly poor. Having had it for over 1 year. I've only had a 3 month period were it was working adequatly .   

The marketing on the Vodafone website  - "Downloading a 100GB game usually takes hours, but with Vodafone Gigafast Broadband you can become a legend in minutes"

Ok, I will go for 900mbps / 900mbps please.

Speedtest result

8039227862.png

Awesome. Let's do a wee downloading test. start small.

Clipboard04.jpg
100mb - 736kb/s :Hmm_Face:

I think it should read the following.

The marketing on the Vodafone website  - "Downloading a 100GB game usually takes hours, but with Vodafone Gigafast Broadband you can become a legend in decades"

gipjon
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Well. It explains a lot. Traffic shaping depending on content.

VF would claim most of games and software contain video :Smiling:

But VPN still loophole as big brother can be bothered chase you. VPN isn't largely popular in UK

OpenVPN on router. It will add £2 for your monthly bill. Do you think is worth it?

I would say 100mbps line usually is sufficient for two 4k streams if your speed isn't throtelled . On difference you can get VPN provider. 

My worry what ping will suffer and affect online gambling

Got to have a good ping to support that online gambling habit!

@Mozambezi

If your router supports openvpn it is a cheap option.

I have been testing two vpn's Nordvpn and Expressvpn - if sync speeds are to be believed then I get 110mbps down /160mbps up.  I am on the 900mbps service. I did a lot of reading and it seems normal for a vpn to reach max 100-120mbps even on a 1Gb connection.  A 10% - 50 % drop off speed is expected when connected to a vpn.

On a 100mbps connection in theory you should be able to stream two devices using a vpn if you don't get too much drop off.

I haven't run any equipment so far that required a low ping time, but my average was between 30 / 55ms (speedtest.net) when testing a connection to a vpn. So this would be low enough for online gaming, not so sure on gambling sites.

I tempted to try flash my router. I found when I bought good grade commercial one I stopped having any problems and VDSL ping went from 14 to 9ms.   On Gigafast Google server  ping is around 5ms.

However in both cases VF broadband was terrible with Head Office involved.  Recently I have 6-8 Mbps. I was ok with 40mbps (from 100 line) It seems story made a circle.