cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

100% Proof of throttling twitch iptv etc.

mrmarkyuk
10: Established
10: Established

Here's the proof of throttling - Once I vpn out of the vodafone throttling wall twitch is working perfect at full video source.

PROOF of  throttling  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqlPPGcv6Q 

It looks like throttling is around between 3.8 - 4 - once I hit up onto the vpn you will notice i'm up at around 10 and playback is perfect

There's too many other customers on here reporting the exact same issue for it to be a problem our side - I've tested multiple routers etc to rule that out - I created this new thread because now we can see it really is a vodafone problem.

this is my speed 
7929135659.png

Can you give an estimation when this will be changed back?

804 REPLIES 804

Ive been having increasing issues with streaming over past 6 months, to the point that I can no longer stream.

Noticed my bill has sneaked up as well, so time to jump to a different ISP.  This issue has been going on far too long.

Oh man, I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread because I have experinced this issue for months and no-one believes me. I have a personal Plex server which is hosted externally and if I don't route it via a VPN, I cannot stream even SD stuff. I don't really care as my contract is up and I'm off next month. I lodged a formal complaint about the other speed issues at peak times and raised this query and was essentially told "that shouldn't happen, something must be up your side (my own cabling etc)." Well, safe to say, it's not just me after all. I just wish VF was more honest about their issues - they grew too big too quickly for their infrastructure is essentially the issue on the speed side.

The throttling is a whole other argument on top of that!

I was told that I need to look at things 'my side' and when I said, 100% not my problem, disconnects happen on wi-fi and ethernet through the Vodafone router so not my hardware, I was told they'd look into it. Now the ticket is closed! 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi all, if anyone's still having issues with the above, please send us a message on Twitter or Facebook and we'll get to the bottom of this for you. 

I don't have a Twitter account or a Facebook account.

Buy VPN. Pay for 3 years. It will ad £5 a month. But u can use it on several devices and route all traffic via VPN enabled router.

Here are a few other added benefits of VPN. Google it. Big broth fitering all your traffic and passwords.

On good side. Vodafone + VPN still cheaper than anyone else. AND my speed is as advertised. Here are video delays but it is dependent on how far server is.

what router do you have that works correctly with VPN? only reason i ask is I tried using my Asus DSL-AC68U which wasnt cheap to create VPN to Nord VPN.

Had the slowest speeds ever.  Turns out when I spoke to the guys at nrd they basically confirmed most routers cant handle the traffic of devices using VPNs because the CPU just isnt up to the job.

Software client on PC was fine, but I want to encrypt all data!

thanks

@gingertips - I bought a modded BT HomeHub 5 off ebay - it's been pre-modded to allow you to install OpenWRT.

I also use NordVPN and the download speeds are not always great - I don't think that's a limitation of Nord, but more that the router isn't massively powerful- sounds like the same scenario you had with your router to be honest.

This set up has worked for me for 3 months now - I'm off to Virgin Media next month and I'm sad to say I won't miss having to lodge complaints with VF just to get anyone to look at anything!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works here, but I've access router-based OpenVPN for a few years and have run this on both the Asus RT-AC68U and now the RT-AC86U, and the router CPU impact is only two or three percent.  So I can't help thinking something else is at play here - what that is, I freely admit I don't know!

VF is not slowing down Express VPN or Nord VPN. I'm getting full line speed like 100 Mbps