cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

100% Proof of throttling twitch iptv etc.

mrmarkyuk
10: Established
10: Established

Here's the proof of throttling - Once I vpn out of the vodafone throttling wall twitch is working perfect at full video source.

PROOF of  throttling  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqlPPGcv6Q 

It looks like throttling is around between 3.8 - 4 - once I hit up onto the vpn you will notice i'm up at around 10 and playback is perfect

There's too many other customers on here reporting the exact same issue for it to be a problem our side - I've tested multiple routers etc to rule that out - I created this new thread because now we can see it really is a vodafone problem.

this is my speed 
7929135659.png

Can you give an estimation when this will be changed back?

804 REPLIES 804

Same for me. 

Without VPN, I get 4Mbps DL speeds (measured by Speedtest.net) and a tracert to Speedtest.net shows 

Tracing route to speedtest.net [151.101.2.219]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms vodafone.broadband [192.168.1.1]
2 * 28 ms 28 ms host-212-158-250-34.dslgb.com [212.158.250.34]
3 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms 63.130.104.198
4 27 ms 26 ms 27 ms ae11-100-xcr1.hex.cw.net [195.89.96.1]
5 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms ae17-xcr1.ltw.cw.net [195.2.28.150]

If anybody has received a satisfactory solution to this problem, please let me know
6 27 ms 29 ms 31 ms 23.235.41.84
7 26 ms 31 ms 31 ms 151.101.2.219

Trace complete.

With VPN, I get 40Mbps, and a tracert adds 2 hops:

Tracing route to speedtest.net [151.101.194.219]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * 28 ms * 10.5.0.1
2 30 ms 32 ms 37 ms 185.169.255.1
3 * 34 ms 32 ms 5.253.114.173
4 29 ms * 27 ms 94.154.157.44
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms clouvider-ic-337427-ldn-b1.c.telia.net [62.115.154.43]
7 29 ms 30 ms * ldn-b1-link.telia.net [62.115.154.42]
8 29 ms 30 ms 30 ms fastly-ic-352021-ldn-b1.c.telia.net [62.115.184.175]
9 26 ms 27 ms 27 ms 151.101.194.219

Trace complete.

So as you can see, VF have changed the routing, which is good, but I am still experiencing low data throughput.  This can be countered by using a different protocol

Meaning:

1.  The VF routing is efficient and their gateway servers are doing their best

2. Using a different protocol means that VF is not able "to see" what traffic is passing and therefore some sort of software measure does not kick in.

It depends.

For UK traffic I stopped using VPN. Vodafone on my end is more efficient than VPN routing. 

For EU I use VPN. For USA - Vodafone is faster than VPN.

Now I starting to experience traffic congestion on GigaFast 200 MBps.  Peak times useable line goes down to 16 Mbps.   (Test returns 200MBps) Every HD streaming struggles. Not too often, but noticeable. (I'm not getting annoyed yet)

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @I_saw_Megabit, I understand how important it is to have a stable connection, especially during the current situation.  

If you would like us to look into your account, run some tests on your line and look at improving your speeds please don't hesitate to drop us a message on social media with your Vodafone landline/account and a link to this thread with you username 😊

Hi Evie

Whilst I appreciate you reaching out and offering a service, I really cannot count social media platforms as a call handling and resolution system.  Call me old fashioned, but I was raised on ITIL v3 and what comes to mind is logging a proper support call, with a reference and an SLA attached to it.

Each to their own but for me, using twitter, facebook and the likes, to service your customers, is cutting corners, giving into "cheapism" and exposing the brand to reputational damage.

Now if I was offered a call back where a person takes time to write down my issue, read back the statement to make sure no vital information is missed and then gives me a forecast on what is going to happen, then I would be tempted to change my perception of the brand, regardless of whether my technical issue is resolved.

Hi @I_saw_Megabit 👋 I completely understand if you do not want to contact us by social media, as we don`t have account access here we do generally ask customers to contact us that way, as we can follow up on the interaction if needed., but it is not our only point of contact. You can alternatively contact us by calling 03333040191 where one of the team will be happy to help, if you were to contact us by social media and after we have taken your details we would then be happy to arrange a call if that is what you would prefer.

Hi Andy

Many thanks for your post.  I think you have highlighted it in your post, the "social media" team do not have access to customer details.  That is the details necessary to log, progress and resolve an issue.  That remains my bone of contention and makes me wonder exactly why has that team been created?  What is its purpose, as part of a business.  (am thinking costs, metrics, duties, accountability,...)

However, you did mention a number to call.  I have and will continue to do that; call the support centre and log a call, get a reference number.

To come back to the original Post though:  Please can Vodafone supply a credible answer as to why the throughput drop at specific intervals in a 24-hour cycle.  Most users here will use terms like "throttling", "traffic shaping"....  I am willing to listen to an alternative credible answer.

think you misunderstood Andy's message @I_saw_Megabit, although we're unable to access your account through our Community, we can access to your account if you contact us privately through one of our social channels and complete a few short security checks. If you'd like us to take a closer look into your issue and monitor this though to a resolution, contact us by following the steps in the above link and we'll be more than happy to help.

I've had slow, next to useless, speeds every night for two weeks now and still nothing has been done even after speaking with 2nd line tech support several times. 3rd line just flat outright refuse to look into things even after submiting all the test data they requested. I'm constantly being told it's my side where the issue is, my equipment (your router), the wifi, the SSIDs need splitting, the horse in the field is chewing the cables... I'm fed up.

https://www.speedtest.net/results?sh=d133004490f7b5323d044740d5660ccc

After many repeated attempts to resolve with customer service I gave up. All they were prepared to do was offer me a discount which actually worked out I was paying more than new customers. Just goes to show how much value Vodafone puts on loyalty. 

Anyway have been with Plusnet for 2 months now and speed has gone from getting average around 26 Meg back up to reasonable speeds of around 36-38 Meg.

To add insult to injury the cancellation of my Vodafone didn't go smoothly and they are Still charging me. Due to "internal processes" they can't cancel the service until late December and I have to wait for backdated refund until then.  The last 12-18 months with Vodafone has been the most frustrating experience of an ISP since my first broadband connection over 20 years ago and even after cancellation they continue to cause me grief. 

Sadly the only way you will get this resolved is to move to another ISP. Vodafone are simply too much of a behemoth to be able to fix single customer issues