main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Internet speed

100% Proof of throttling twitch iptv etc.

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Went to BT on Saturday, sync speed is already 20% higher.

View more options
Highlighted
4: Newbie

Well done.

Express VPN seemed to increase my speeds on the unlimited max plan by over 20Mb/s.

Still monitoring it though. A VPN might be the only option.

Shouldnt have to use a VPN to use the services major issues if thats the case.

View more options
Highlighted
1: Seeker

Still an issue in 2020

I have just signed up over a month ago on fast2. Didn't see these issues at first but particular streaming services were useless unable to stream constant buffering regardless of quality. Services were only based in germany so didn't think this would be such an issue. But during peaktime traffic was getting bounced around all over the show and it then began to happen outside of peak time too. General performance of the broadband has been good even for gaming and downloading, just specific routes or services that seem to really suffer.

Going through the normal engineer visit channels at the moment as my sync speed is lower than advertised so cant seem to get anywhere until that is cleared as thats just being blamed as the issue.

However I can confirm using expressVPN fixed my streaming issues. Im using a rock64 as VPN client and pushing all TV traffic through this makeshift router and the buffering issue stopped instantly. Seems to be a good workaround but less than ideal for anyone without a spare pi laying about.

View more options
Highlighted
3: Seeker

Ive been having increasing issues with streaming over past 6 months, to the point that I can no longer stream.

Noticed my bill has sneaked up as well, so time to jump to a different ISP.  This issue has been going on far too long.

View more options
Highlighted

Oh man, I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread because I have experinced this issue for months and no-one believes me. I have a personal Plex server which is hosted externally and if I don't route it via a VPN, I cannot stream even SD stuff. I don't really care as my contract is up and I'm off next month. I lodged a formal complaint about the other speed issues at peak times and raised this query and was essentially told "that shouldn't happen, something must be up your side (my own cabling etc)." Well, safe to say, it's not just me after all. I just wish VF was more honest about their issues - they grew too big too quickly for their infrastructure is essentially the issue on the speed side.

The throttling is a whole other argument on top of that!

View more options
Highlighted

I was told that I need to look at things 'my side' and when I said, 100% not my problem, disconnects happen on wi-fi and ethernet through the Vodafone router so not my hardware, I was told they'd look into it. Now the ticket is closed! 

View more options
Highlighted

Hi all, if anyone's still having issues with the above, please send us a message on Twitter or Facebook and we'll get to the bottom of this for you. 

View more options
Highlighted

I don't have a Twitter account or a Facebook account.

View more options
Highlighted

Buy VPN. Pay for 3 years. It will ad £5 a month. But u can use it on several devices and route all traffic via VPN enabled router.

Here are a few other added benefits of VPN. Google it. Big broth fitering all your traffic and passwords.

On good side. Vodafone + VPN still cheaper than anyone else. AND my speed is as advertised. Here are video delays but it is dependent on how far server is.

View more options
Highlighted

what router do you have that works correctly with VPN? only reason i ask is I tried using my Asus DSL-AC68U which wasnt cheap to create VPN to Nord VPN.

Had the slowest speeds ever.  Turns out when I spoke to the guys at nrd they basically confirmed most routers cant handle the traffic of devices using VPNs because the CPU just isnt up to the job.

Software client on PC was fine, but I want to encrypt all data!

thanks

View more options
Highlighted

@gingertips - I bought a modded BT HomeHub 5 off ebay - it's been pre-modded to allow you to install OpenWRT.

I also use NordVPN and the download speeds are not always great - I don't think that's a limitation of Nord, but more that the router isn't massively powerful- sounds like the same scenario you had with your router to be honest.

This set up has worked for me for 3 months now - I'm off to Virgin Media next month and I'm sad to say I won't miss having to lodge complaints with VF just to get anyone to look at anything!

View more options
Highlighted
16: Advanced member

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works here, but I've access router-based OpenVPN for a few years and have run this on both the Asus RT-AC68U and now the RT-AC86U, and the router CPU impact is only two or three percent.  So I can't help thinking something else is at play here - what that is, I freely admit I don't know!

View more options
Highlighted

VF is not slowing down Express VPN or Nord VPN. I'm getting full line speed like 100 Mbps

View more options
Highlighted

isn't it far easier just to leave vodafone and go to BT?  I mean a VPN may well make the connection faster, but you need a VPN subscription, a compatible router, and/or ensure the VPN client is on all your devices.  Seems like a lot of faffing about to side step the issue.  If more people left, vodafone would be more likely to upgrade their system.

View more options
Highlighted

People will leave because of this - myself included. My last day with VF is Friday!

Unfortunately it is a lot header if you've just signed up and locked into a 1 or 2 year contract. It's very hard to go through all the red tape of proving the issue.

View more options
Highlighted

This has to be the worst broadband provider ever, i i  experiencing exactly the same issues, internet speed is fine during the day but in the evening , wow 

Dial up was faster

Official complaint raised, still 12 months to go on ky contract unfortunately 

View more options
Highlighted

Just wanted to post a follow up to this issue.

I've been with Virgin Media a few months now and guess what - not had a single problem with streaming since.

Nothing else has changed my side other than moving ISP's - still the same Plex, still the same other streaming accounts and I've not had a single problem. I'm not being throttled on any port.

I didn't pay and I still don't pay any attention to what Vodafone told me when I complained. I'm pretty sure they had some level of traffic shaping or traffic management on their central infrastructure which was limiting my throughput to certain sites and ports - Plex port 32400 being the main one. No-one should have to use a VPN on top of their normal connection to get a BETTER quality streaming rate!

On top of this, you had to manage some days and evenings when randomly your speed would go down to 0.5 Mbps from 75Mb.

I really do hope VF have gotten on top of this since I've left!

View more options
Highlighted

Funny Enough. I can't watch 480p IP TV over evenings. It takes maximum 2Mbps.... But line tests returning 100Mbps even via VPN. On BT mobile same time, 4g I watch from same server in 720p without a lag. I gave up.

View more options
Highlighted

"No-one should have to use a VPN on top of their normal connection to get a BETTER quality streaming rate!"

Absolutely spot on - theres other providers out there that work fine - like other people have commented,, Ive been with 2 others since leaving Vodafail and had no problems at all at any time of day.

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

I'm experiencing the exact same issues after 6pm with all sevices mainly PSN. I think the main problem here is VF have a speed guarantee which is your sync speed which they're fulfilling but to get around this they're throttling the data in another way to stay in their contract (no discount paid for slow speeds) the service is garbage and unusable regardless of your sync speeds. From 6pm i was getting between 1-5mb from a 36mb line, wake up in the morning and its back to 35mb, this happens EVERY DAY. 

I've managed to sort the issue now, I've switch ISP. 😆

If you're thinking of switching to VF save your sanity and spend a little more and go elsewhere

View more options