cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

20Mbps slower than my next door neighbour on the same Superfast 2 package - are my line stats ok?

mlouden81
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello good people of the VF community,

My next door neighbour has Superfast 2 like me but his speeds are nearly 60/16Mb and mine are 38/8Mb.  I switched from SF1 to SF2 last July on the basis of the speeds he was getting, but my speed has pretty much stayed the same since (after initially bouncing all over the place in the first couple of months).  I fitted a new NTE5c socket and tidied up the wiring about 3 months ago which added 3/1Mb and got me to the 38/8 recorded ever since, but I'm still not seeing anywhere near his speeds.  We are connected to the same cabinet (500-600m away using google maps measuring via the roads) with cabling underground to our mid 90's houses.

I raised various tickets with VF since July, which seem to have closed when i reply back to the ticket number trying to get an update on a solution.  I've been through all the standard basic stuff of using the test socket and only Ethernet connections etc to humour the process, and would class myself as very competent when it comes to home networks.  The router app shows my speed in red, and I'm still getting the 15% line speed guarantee discount, but I've not heard anything more since September when i sent in screenshot of bad speed test results.

Please can anyone offer their expertise on my line stats (attached) to suggest or rule out something is wrong?  Or offer any other advice on pursuing this further?  If my neighbour wasn't getting significantly higher speeds than me on the same VF product I'd probably be none the wiser 🙂

Many thanks in advance,

Mark.

4 REPLIES 4

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You don't have the router on a phone extension cable do you? 

Have you got any wired extension sockets? Do they go dead when you remove the faceplate? Do you get the same sync in the test socket?

Just trying to think of the obvious possibilities. I'm sure you have probably checked them all yourself.

Thanks for the reply.

Router is in the master socket, with no obvious difference in sync speed attached to the dsl socket or test socket with a filter.

Yes, the phone does go dead with the master faceplate removed.

Cheers.

Jayach

Sorry for those questions but where the sync speed is significantly below that suggested by the BT checker it's frequently a cabling issue in the home. The fact your SNR is at 5.9 you haven't got any room for improvement unless you can find an error.

Is the DSL drop cable you are using the one that came with the modem?

If you still have an old VDSL modem from a previous ISP you could try connecting that. It won't be authenticated but it should sync and you will be able to eliminate the modem as the cause.

Can't think of anything else you could really do.

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

aa net do a good-ish speed comparator.....

You are connected to cabinet 00. Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 3454 metres.

G.Fast broadband up to 160Mbps

G.Fast is available with an estimated downstream speed of 265.3 to 330Mbps. For the time being, we limiting G.Fast speeds to a maximum of 160Mbps. 

"Superfast" VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet) up to 80Mb/s

VDSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem in the street cabinet and then typically glass fibre to connect back to the exchange and on to us. As this uses less copper wire it provides faster download speeds than ADSL, but costs a little more.  For your location, forecast download sync speed is 74-80Mb/s and forecast upload sync speed is 19-20Mb/s.

ADSL broadband up to 5.4Mb/s

ADSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem at the telephone exchange. For your location the forecast download sync speed is 3-5.4Mb/s.

#####################################

BT OR sockets.png

Dis-connect wire number 3 if it is actually used anywhere on the circuit, although using the test socket negates my advice.