main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Awful WiFi after installation

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Hi all, 

I recently had fibre installed 100 mbps. I have it connected via ethernet to the pc and this shows just over or under 100 mbps.

However no matter where I am in the house I am getting less that 5mbps via WiFi, this is on my phone, TV and PlayStation. I've moved devices right next to the router such as my phone and it makes no difference. All devices are showing full connectivity. 

I appreciate that WiFi is slower than wired but this is slower than I'd expect and I've noticed a large decrease in performance on things such as Netflix which will only now run in 480p as opposed to 2160 before on WiFi with nowtv at 38mbps.

Any advice would be grately received. 

Thanks, 

Edd

View more options
3 REPLIES 3
17: Community Champion

Taking into account I do not use Vodafone Home Broadband @Edskimk 

When I had issues I split the frequencies in my router to 2.4ghz and 5ghz and then connected my devices to one and then the other to see which it liked the best and also changed wireless channel.

I've read that others also have had their own user experience success using their own router instead of the connect option Vodafone supply.

HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-VDSL. 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
2: Seeker

Appreciate the response. 

I'll see if switching frequencies works, fingers crossed!

If not I'll probably have to purchase another router. 

Frustrating, that the supplied equipment is so poor but I am pragmatic and appreciate Vodafone are not the only ones doing this. 

View more options
16: Advanced member

It may depend on the router you've been supplied the HHG2500/VOX2.5 produces a nice cone of strong signal from it's front and back, with a spike at 90 degrees to this.  Outside of those areas, the signal strength can be pretty poor!  Not the kind of signal bubble that you get with most decent third party routers.

The idea of splitting the SSIDs is that you can fix your 5GHz WiFi devices that are near to the router onto that band by using a different SSID.  You can then set devices that are further away or don't need so much bandwidth to the 2.4GHz band WiFi.  You can do the same job by MAC filtering, which means you don't have to fiddle with half your devices (you set it on the router, and you can have some devices that are free to use whichever is best).

In terms of performance, I've had devices on the 5GHz connect to the VF router at 866Mbps (as fast as any devices here will connect), but on the 2.4Ghz it's really hard to get anything above 72Mbps, where those same devices will connect at 400Mbps to my third party ASUS router.

If you do go down the third-party route, please remember that you need a modem + router or a combo device and not just a router!

View more options