Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband speed after 7pm - shocking

maccapacka75
3: Seeker

For the past week or so, after 7pm, my home broadband drops to below 5mpbs (download) .I have raised this with online support twice and their scripted response is non-existent in terms of a resolution. It's that bad I have to end the 'chat' session before I lose my temper.

My home setup is fine, I average 45-50mbps (download) all day, every day; I also work from home, as does my wife, we're both on video calls while both kids are on Zoom and doing school work. No issues, no buffering perfect.

Clocks chime 7pm and it grinds to a stop.

Wifi and hard-wired  ethernet from the router same result; Okta speed test, Wifi man, all the same, and from multiple devices; iPad, windows laptop, Samsung phone.  All ping tests after 7pm, show latency. 

It is 100% a capacity, over-subscription problem, although the 'engineer' from VF tells me my 'line is clear'; Yes, it's clear but there is no bandwidth.

Sooner my contract runs out the better.

37 REPLIES 37

Hi Jimmy. It would appear that occasionally there is a tech issue but most of the time it is contention and lack of bandwidth in the evening. Nothing Vodafone can do about that as BT(Openreach) own the kit and take the lions share of the bandwidth for their customers and the other providers get what's left. Not fair but BT have everyone over a barrel. BT and PlusNet both give good speeds as PlusNet is owned by BT. Sky is also good as they have their own equipment. I left BT due to the ridiculous cost of £68/month but I've just rejoined for 29.99 for the same package so I'm pretty happy.

If you having same issues over 6 weeks

Goto this website 

https://cedr.modria.com

Fill it in

I have 3 months of hell with slow broadband in evening just 1mb download speed 

Final i left in November without paying any penalties 😬 

Now with virgin 112mb 😀😀😀😀

Had technical issues as well as issues with brand and speed and moved to plusnet they resolved the issue and now have at least 60mb all day.

complained to Vodafone and they agreed that they offered poor service and cancelled all fees. Technical support is a joke and not want to tell you to plug into the master socket and wait 72hours and never follow up.

look around some cash back deals will soften the blow to move away. Will never go with Vodafone broadband again.

Their technical team do not have a clue. Took multiple calls, escalations and thankfully a ‘contact’ to break free without charge. I was willing to pay any charge to be honest as it ruined my evenings when I couldn’t stream anything!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worth remembering you don't pay for a sync speed, you pay for the download speed.  You could have a 1Gbs sync, but if there's a bottleneck elsewhere the download speed could just be kilobits!

It's unfortunate, but you have to be forceful when getting this across at times!

After 3 hours on the phone to them this morning, we've managed to cancel our contract without penalty. They clearly can't provide the service that was promised. Already signed up with BT and counting down to being switched over.

Thanks for the advice and help.

I got compensation of £120 back

When I went through 

https://cedr.modria.com

So ask for refund

reggie124
  • Same issue here in west Yorkshire. From 1st June 2020 3mbps after 6pm. I have spoken to 2x staffs online chat plus 1x  telephone. Asking me to change setting on modern router on wifi setting. When I mention, it same on hard wire, the say we will monitor 72 hours.. still same. The giving me 15% discounts, but speed I am getting, I should be paying £1 a month for (superfast 2). How can I end my contract early? if the dont improved in 30 days. Still have another 15m contract left, without paying any penalty? Screenshot_20200625-225526_Speedtest.jpg