Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband speed poor!!

ashleigh9008
4: Newbie

My broadband from wednesday has been basically none existent i am on superfast 2 and i am getting a speed no higher than 2.6! I have spoke to 4 different people and carried out all the tests they have told me 4 different times to then be told the speed is showing at 80mb at there end and there must be a break in the line somewhere. They now want me to carry out the test again at 3 different times tomorrow and send screenshots to then be told it will be reviewed in 3-5 working days!! I have never had an issue like this has anyone else? I am looking into a new provider as the customer service from vodafone is very poor they should be trying to keep customers not chase them away!!

23 REPLIES 23

I have tried with wifi off and also 2 different devices and changed all the cables to the spare ones i had. They checked my router today and said that didnt show any faults. They seem to be at a loss aswel with it. I have virgin media working outside connecting fibre cables and they now think it could be interference with that but my neighbour is with vodafone and not getting the same problem.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If it was interference I would expect it to be reflected in the router specs. Your upstream power is somewhat lower than mine but if that was a problem I would think that would also be down to the router.

Which router do you have? If you are out of contract, and especially if you have the older router I would ask for a new router or you will leave. (Which might be the best thing to do anyway). Have you actually been put through to 2nd line or are you still dealing with 1st line?

I have just renewed my contract with them and got a new router. I have now been put through to second line and they are requesting the screenshots again to then transfer me to 3rd line its a joke and no communication between anyone! I asked to leave today and was told i would need to pay £198 fee!! 

Screenshot_20200916-212407_CaptivePortalLogin.jpg

Hi

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/SNR-tweak

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

I think mine is poor...

Downstream Upstream

Signal-to-Noise Ratio5.4 dB7.2 dB

So

CabinetTest.png

you can see that there are 2 for me

VDSL Range A (Clean) 
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 

I guess I am on the B range.

Jayach

@clint_flick, I'm not sure you understand what the SNR is. There is no good or bad value as it is dynamic and constantly varying.  You can force the modem to negotiate a lower value, and therefore get a higher speed, but that comes at the risk of lower stability on poor lines.

Hi

My opinion is that a value above 6 is "wrong" / undesirable.

Jayach

Higher is better as far as SNR is concerned it means your signal is much greater than the noise.

If you have an SNR higher than 6 (usual default) and you are not at the maximum speed for your contracted service then it means for some reason you are being capped. If its not much above then there was probably extra noise at the time the modem/cabinet negotiated the speed at the last reconnect.

If you look at the stats I posted earlier my upstream is 11.6 but am am at 20000 kbs (my contracted max) but the line would be capable of much more. The downstream is 5.9 so probably a little more noise at the time I took those figures (don't forget it is dynamic so you are just seeing a snapshot in time) than at the last reconnect.

GemmaP
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @ashleigh9008 

If you pop us a message over on Social we can check on your ticket with the Technical team and also check that your router is properly set up from our end.

Just include a link to this thread 🙂

I have sent over a message on facebook.

Again still no further forward!! Sent screenshots and told they dont meet what they need i am not great with computers and cannot have anyone in the household due to lockdown so looks like i will be without internet for the forseeable. They wont allow me out of contract until i pay £180 which i refuse to pay. I will be taking this further!!