main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Internet speed

Confused over speed on new contract.

Highlighted
3: Seeker

Recently signed up and being activated next week.  When they checked my address/number I was offered two options:- Superfast 1,  35Mbps and Superfast 2, 63Mbps.

I went for Superfast 2.

Got the paperwork today and it says this:

Min download speed 35

Max download speed 54.7

Min guaranteed speed 32.4

What should I expect?  The max 54.7 is lower than the 63 I signed up for.  The minimum guaranteed 32.4 is lower than the 35 Superfast 1.

View more options
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted

Hey @NewtonBoy, the minimum speed guarantee is what you can expect from your router wirelessly. The 63Mbps is what you can expect FTTC.

View more options
Highlighted
4: Newbie

It has nothing at all to do with WiFi. The 63 quoted is the possible maximum, but the infrastructure has been measured to have a lower speed, normally because of the length and quality of the copper wire from the cabinet to the house. However if you look at other items in the forum you will see that there have been questions about various times you experience speeds below your expectation.

View more options
Highlighted

Activated on Friday and sync speed 23.1.  Remained at 23.1 yesterday, but this morning dropped to 15.5.  Long way to go to get to minimum speed guarantee or the 39 I was getting with Sky.

Is this normal to be so low at the beginning and then dropping lower after two days or should I be getting ready to cancel before the 14 days is up?

View more options
Highlighted

@NewtonBoy Watch the speed very carefully and if you are not happy make sure to leave in good time. I foolishly trusted the helpdesk person saying that it will all settle down and be OK.

It didn't, it wasn't and still isn't.

View more options
Highlighted
16: Advanced member

It's worth pointing out that the sync rate is the speed between your router and the cabinet, and not to be confused with the data rates when you are connecting to sites on the internet.

With a sync rate as low as you are reporting, then I'd actually be contacting customer services straight away as I really doubt it's going to more than double over the next 10 days!

View more options
Highlighted

After dropping to 15.1 the sync speed went up to 26 yesterday.  Day five today and it's dropped to 21.2.   Been on live chat a few times and they say everything will be OK.    I think I'm going to cancel in the next few days as I can't see it reaching the 32.4 minimum guaranteed speed.  

If I don't reach my Superfast guarantee of 55 I'll get 15% off my bill, what am I entitled to if I don't get the 32.4 minimum guaranteed speed?

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @NewtonBoy 

Your new broadband will have a settling in period which can be up to 10 days, throughout the first 10 days you may see lower speeds. 

When you are checking the sync speeds, are you doing this on the Vodafone Broadband App? 

View more options
Highlighted

@MarkD Yes.  Both the Vodafone Broadband app and the router itself.

View more options
Highlighted

On the phone to technical this morning and they've told me to use the test socket for 24-48 hours.  Using test socket, sync speed has reduced from 21.2 to 17.5.

View more options
Highlighted

Hey @NewtonBoy 

Great to hear you've spoken with our tech department! Although your speeds may have slightly dropped momentarily, make sure you keep your router connected via the test socket for the full amount of time recommended by our tech team. This way they'll be able to run the most accurate tests on your superfast home broadband, and get to the bottom of your issue as quick as possible.

Once you've had router plugged into the test socket for the recommended time, get back in touch with our tech team or contact us on social media here

If you need anything else, feel free to drop us a post 😊

View more options
Highlighted

Speed went up to 30.9 overnight Weds/Thurs, still the same today.   Does the ten days stabilisation period include activation day?  If so, I'm on day eight and the speed is yet to reach the guaranteed minimum, let alone the Superfast 2 guarantee of 55.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @NewtonBoy 👋 that`s right the 10 days start from activation, if you are still not at the guaranteed minimum speed after this has passed please can you get in touch with our social team here, where we will be happy to look into this further.

View more options
Highlighted

.@NewtonBoy  Do be careful with the number of days. I got caught like this and tried to leave one day late. Activation day is "day 1 of 14", even if on day one you had poor or no line speed. When I tried to leave the person at VF didn't know if activation day was "zero" or "one" and had to ask a supervisor for clarification.

View more options
Highlighted

Well I'm on day 11 (counting activation day, June 5 as day one) now and the app still says I'm in the 10 day stabilisation period.  I'm up to 35.7 now, still below what I was getting from Sky.  Above minimum speed guarantee but below the Superfast 2 one.   

View more options
Highlighted

Hi, im on superfast 2......my speed most of the time is 1.5mb/s YES THATS NOT A TYPO.......1.5 mb/s download.....been that way for nearly 4 months. Can I get Vodaphone to fix it?....er.  NO !....

View more options