Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Confused over speed on new contract.

NewtonBoy
4: Newbie

Recently signed up and being activated next week.  When they checked my address/number I was offered two options:- Superfast 1,  35Mbps and Superfast 2, 63Mbps.

I went for Superfast 2.

Got the paperwork today and it says this:

Min download speed 35

Max download speed 54.7

Min guaranteed speed 32.4

What should I expect?  The max 54.7 is lower than the 63 I signed up for.  The minimum guaranteed 32.4 is lower than the 35 Superfast 1.

15 REPLIES 15

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @NewtonBoy, the minimum speed guarantee is what you can expect from your router wirelessly. The 63Mbps is what you can expect FTTC.

Cynric
16: Advanced member

It has nothing at all to do with WiFi. The 63 quoted is the possible maximum, but the infrastructure has been measured to have a lower speed, normally because of the length and quality of the copper wire from the cabinet to the house. However if you look at other items in the forum you will see that there have been questions about various times you experience speeds below your expectation.

Activated on Friday and sync speed 23.1.  Remained at 23.1 yesterday, but this morning dropped to 15.5.  Long way to go to get to minimum speed guarantee or the 39 I was getting with Sky.

Is this normal to be so low at the beginning and then dropping lower after two days or should I be getting ready to cancel before the 14 days is up?

Cynric

@NewtonBoy Watch the speed very carefully and if you are not happy make sure to leave in good time. I foolishly trusted the helpdesk person saying that it will all settle down and be OK.

It didn't, it wasn't and still isn't.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's worth pointing out that the sync rate is the speed between your router and the cabinet, and not to be confused with the data rates when you are connecting to sites on the internet.

With a sync rate as low as you are reporting, then I'd actually be contacting customer services straight away as I really doubt it's going to more than double over the next 10 days!

After dropping to 15.1 the sync speed went up to 26 yesterday.  Day five today and it's dropped to 21.2.   Been on live chat a few times and they say everything will be OK.    I think I'm going to cancel in the next few days as I can't see it reaching the 32.4 minimum guaranteed speed.  

If I don't reach my Superfast guarantee of 55 I'll get 15% off my bill, what am I entitled to if I don't get the 32.4 minimum guaranteed speed?

Hi @NewtonBoy 

Your new broadband will have a settling in period which can be up to 10 days, throughout the first 10 days you may see lower speeds. 

When you are checking the sync speeds, are you doing this on the Vodafone Broadband App? 

@MarkD Yes.  Both the Vodafone Broadband app and the router itself.

On the phone to technical this morning and they've told me to use the test socket for 24-48 hours.  Using test socket, sync speed has reduced from 21.2 to 17.5.