main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Download speed bad since changing to vodafone

SOLVED
View solved solution
2: Seeker

Hi

Changed to Vodafone from Plusnet, my download speed has noticably reduced since this change. PS4 download has dropped from 48mbs to about 12mbs, during downloads the progress bar used to jump up in 8mbs increments now it jumps up in 3mbs increments.

Downloading on laptop is about 8mbs.

Have done everything that online tech told me, i.e split ssid and QoS.

Using vodafones own network speed check on the mobile app, the day before change i was on 49mbs, then day of change 14mbs not really improved since then. See screen shots.

I know there is a lot on the forums saying the same, any ideas on what else i can do??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
14: Advanced member

this is the statment from vodafone with ref to speed issue 

Vodafone are continuing to invest heavily in their Broadband network - part of this investment is new hardware. Since its installation we’ve seen degradation of services for some of our customers. Working with our vendors we've identified the root cause & have tested a fix within our lab environment.

Over the next few weeks this fix will be rolled out to the live Network. Customer experience is key to everything we do within Vodafone, so we apologise for this drop in performance.

After successful tests with a number of live users last week, we’re now commencing national roll out of the fix to each of our nodes over the coming weeks - The first is planned for Wednesday evening.

Vodafone are committed to resolving the performance issues some users are experiencing as soon as possible

The change to improve performance on some of our network nodes was applied to the first node last night. Initial feedback has been positive and we'll continue to monitor the change over the coming days.

The next node is planned for late Sunday Night and changes to other nodes will be rolled out over the following 2 weeks.

Vodafone apologises for the inconvenience caused.

View more options
15 REPLIES 15

is 14mb dowload speed at any time of the day or just at peak times and also is that a single or multi dowload speed test 

what is your sync speed

View more options

Hi

Thanks for reply, i thnk it may just be the way VF handle traffic, on Speedtest.net depending on host i can get 45mbs. Just tryed Fast.com and only getting 4mbs. Ps4 is always slow on VF but was great on Plusnet.

Im on a 74mbs sync speed.

View more options
4: Newbie

@springfixer wrote:

Hi

Thanks for reply, i thnk it may just be the way VF handle traffic, on Speedtest.net depending on host i can get 45mbs. Just tryed Fast.com and only getting 4mbs. Ps4 is always slow on VF but was great on Plusnet.

Im on a 74mbs sync speed.

On speedtest.net try clicking "Single" so the rings around the GO turn orange/yellow-ish.

Screenshot.png

Screenshot at 2019-03-09 12-29-23.png

View more options

On Single:

On Hub network in bristol i get 5.3mbs. This is usaully my fastest host

On VF bracknell i get 4.6mbs.

View more options

thats good news , about 5mb on fast.com on a 74 sync 

sounds like you have the speed issues that vodafone a aware of and should be fix over night this sunday or with in the next 2 weeks 

View more options
15: Advanced member

VF unwittingly "introduced" a problem around November that compromises connection speeds to some internet hosts. They are in the process of fixing things (at long last), but it sounds as though this is the issue you are seeing!

The Fix?  Entirely on the VF side of the connection.

2nd Problem.  The VF tech that told you to "split the SSIDs" may have introduced a new problem for you!

The ONLY "sensible" reason to split the SSIDs is so that you can FORCE your connection onto either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band.  In most situations the router should pick the best band automatically.  While there are MANY MANY MANY things wrong with the VF router, mismanaging clients on the two bands is something I've never observed it doing!  In certain scenarios, splitting the SSIDs and NOT then changing the SSID names such that the two bands have different identifiers can actually lock your devices onto a slower connection!  Genuinely the AUTO/DEFAULT setting is going to be best for 95% of problem situations!

*VF techs telling people to split the SSIDs for completely irrelevant reasons annoys the * hell out of me!

**The VF router does indeed have various/multiple WiFi issues, however the only fix for these issues is to not use the VF router!

View more options

this is the statment from vodafone with ref to speed issue 

Vodafone are continuing to invest heavily in their Broadband network - part of this investment is new hardware. Since its installation we’ve seen degradation of services for some of our customers. Working with our vendors we've identified the root cause & have tested a fix within our lab environment.

Over the next few weeks this fix will be rolled out to the live Network. Customer experience is key to everything we do within Vodafone, so we apologise for this drop in performance.

After successful tests with a number of live users last week, we’re now commencing national roll out of the fix to each of our nodes over the coming weeks - The first is planned for Wednesday evening.

Vodafone are committed to resolving the performance issues some users are experiencing as soon as possible

The change to improve performance on some of our network nodes was applied to the first node last night. Initial feedback has been positive and we'll continue to monitor the change over the coming days.

The next node is planned for late Sunday Night and changes to other nodes will be rolled out over the following 2 weeks.

Vodafone apologises for the inconvenience caused.

View more options
4: Newbie

@gipjon wrote:

thats good news , about 5mb on fast.com on a 74 sync 

sounds like you have the speed issues that vodafone a aware of and should be fix over night this sunday or with in the next 2 weeks 

Hey @gipjon - Is this the same for everyone with VF superfast? I've not been told this by VF.

View more options

if you have a sync of lets say 33mb or you have a sync of 65 mb 

and you run a speed test on fast.com and its realy crap and you run a multi download speed test on speedtext.net and its not bad ,

single download test = crap speed and multi download test = not bad 

then your issue accounding to vodafone will be fixed in the next two week and if your lucky it will be fixed by monday morning 

this is a national fix across the network

View more options

Fingers crossed then, will wait a couple of weeks. 

Many thanks for all the advice

View more options

if i did not think it was true then i would not have posted that above . i dont normaly believe a word that vodafone say because the advisors lie all the time to get you to leave them a good score 

this fix seems genuine and vodafone has done every thing so far they have said ( came from a lot higher up the ladder and not just standed phone advisors 

the next fix is due overnight on the 10/03/2019 , so check on monday 

View more options

Since changing to Vodafone from Plusnet, My speed dropped from a sync of 23mbps to a sync of 15mbps ( LOCKED BY VODAFONE ).. Vodafone refuses to remedy, vodafone refuses to FIX the issue, Vodafone refuses to escalate complaint to Bt Openreach as per ofcom rules.

Vodafone is scamming everyone with it's speed guarantees.

Openreach confirms my line speed should be no less than 16.50, and it is stated on POINT OF SALE web page.

With 18 - 32 average speed. And a confirmed Min download of 16.50 from Bt Openreach.

I get 12.50 - 14.20 mbps download speed. Due to VODAFONE LOCKING MY CONNECTION to 15mbps Sync. Less than the speed guaranteed by Bt Openreach.

( From Ofcom )..

Openreach has service level agreements with providers regarding how long it should take for the necessary work to be completed. If these service level agreements are not met, providers can claim compensation from Openreach, and consumers can claim compensation from their own provider.........

Vodafone refuses to compensate me in line with Ofcom rules. And refuses to sort out the slow speed..

Vodafone admits that there is a problem with Vodafone NODES ( IN THE FORUM )...  And has a fix...  But refuses to FIX MY LINE SPEED...

I have also recorded vodafone staff admitting the 25mbps ultimate speed guarantee is a scam. A gimmick.

I am now considering taking Vodafone to court.

View more options
15: Advanced member

First up, before I say anything else - I'm not a Vodafone stoolie.

Vodafone, don't lock down peoples sync rates.  In the year I've been a customer I've seen them do plenty of daft things but this isn't one of them.  The sync rate you get is the result of a negotiation between the cabinet and your modem.  It does seem that the chipsets employed in both the cabinet and the VF modem can have an effect too (Broadcom being slower on noisy lines than Intel Lantiq).  So different equipment can have an effect on your sync rate!

Unless the documentation has changed, then where ever your documentation states download speed in Mbps that is the speed you should expect.  The download speed is not the same as the sync speed and do not let anyone from Vodafone tell you otherwise.

If you are Superfast 1 and your download speed is below 25Mbps then you are already entitled to a discount under VFs Ultimate Speed Guarantee.

Here's a minefield for you though.  If in your joining letter you have both a minimum download speed and bizarrely a minimum guaranteed download speed you can actually hold them to higher of the two!

You do have to be forceful with their tech support though, if you are below the minimum download speed then they are supposed to attempt to resolve the situation.

You do need to remember that our contracts are with Vodafone and not Openreach, and as of the current time, Vodafone is not a signatory to the latest voluntary industry code of practice.  

As for the comment on nodes, the issue that mostly refers to, would now appear to be fixed, so this is more likely to a problem with your individual line.  *The press release regards the line cards was almost certainly written by either a manager or press officer who had little clue what they were talking about.  It probably resulted in any half decent techs within VF to hang their heads in shame at the ineptitude of the person responsible for writing that press release!

View more options
Highlighted

I appolagise... I thought you was Vodafone staff..

Vodafone is a member, Confirmed by Ofcom.

And Openreach do actually confirm the minimum speed during sign up.

But thank you for your response, and the info..

Thanks.

View more options

Hey @FionaBennett-Sm, thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry to hear you're not getting the speeds you should be and understand how frustrating this must be. 

Are you using your supplied Vodafone router still? If so, you can claim a 15% discount if your sync speed is lower than our Superfast 1 minimum speed (25Mbps) or our Superfast 2 minimum speed (55Mbps). You can do this using the My Vodafone app

So one of our team can take a closer look into this for you too, please get in touch via Facebook at Vodafone UK; or contact us on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK. Please provide a link to this thread, along with your username; so you won't have to explain yourself again. Alternatively, you can speak to an adviser using Live Chat

View more options