main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Download speed much less than sync speed after upgrade

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
2: Seeker

Today is my activation date for my upgrade to fibre 2 and I know if can take 10 days for dlm to find a stable speed, however I can see my router is now syncing at 56.3 Mbits/s which is already a great speed increase over the 40 Mbits it was syncing at on Fibre 1. The weird thing is my real download speeds haven't changed at all. I was getting 38Mbits/s actual download speed before the upgrade and the same after. So the sync speed has increased signifcatly (as expected) but my speed test results/download speeds have NOT changed. This is over an ethernet cable to the router so the wifi is 100% not to blame. What could be the reason for this? Have vodafone not changed my ip profile?

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just as an update once my vox three router arrived, I had to call support to get this router connected, but I am now syncing at 61Mbits/s and I actually get a download speed of 58Mbits/s. So I don't know what changed but I am getting the speed I should now so thats good...

View more options
3 REPLIES 3
4: Newbie

First off.. Its a myth that it takes 10 days for the DLM to find a stable speed on fibre as DLM on FTTC is not on the fly and usually settles within 24 hours if it is needed at all. 

Go to ookla at speedtest net and do several tests at diferent times of the day and see how it varies. They store a history of any tests done so you can easilly compare. In most cases reported on here it can drop drastically at peak times.

View more options

Yeah as I undertsand it open reach just put you on an open profile to start with so I am guessing 56.3 MBits/s is probably all my line can handle (which is fine).

I have been doing speeds tests throughout the day and I always get a solid 38Mbit/s so I don't think it's happenign because of peak usage.

The vodafone support guys think it may be behaving like this because "my openreach order has completed " but "my vodafone order has not yet completed" because it is still activation day and that's why I am syncing much faster than the actual download speed. Not sure how much sense that makes though, anyway they insist I wait till midnight and call back tomorrow.

View more options

Just as an update once my vox three router arrived, I had to call support to get this router connected, but I am now syncing at 61Mbits/s and I actually get a download speed of 58Mbits/s. So I don't know what changed but I am getting the speed I should now so thats good...

View more options