Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Download speed much less than sync speed after upgrade

maxmw
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Today is my activation date for my upgrade to fibre 2 and I know if can take 10 days for dlm to find a stable speed, however I can see my router is now syncing at 56.3 Mbits/s which is already a great speed increase over the 40 Mbits it was syncing at on Fibre 1. The weird thing is my real download speeds haven't changed at all. I was getting 38Mbits/s actual download speed before the upgrade and the same after. So the sync speed has increased signifcatly (as expected) but my speed test results/download speeds have NOT changed. This is over an ethernet cable to the router so the wifi is 100% not to blame. What could be the reason for this? Have vodafone not changed my ip profile?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just as an update once my vox three router arrived, I had to call support to get this router connected, but I am now syncing at 61Mbits/s and I actually get a download speed of 58Mbits/s. So I don't know what changed but I am getting the speed I should now so thats good...

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

sneakysnake
4: Newbie

First off.. Its a myth that it takes 10 days for the DLM to find a stable speed on fibre as DLM on FTTC is not on the fly and usually settles within 24 hours if it is needed at all. 

Go to ookla at speedtest net and do several tests at diferent times of the day and see how it varies. They store a history of any tests done so you can easilly compare. In most cases reported on here it can drop drastically at peak times.

Yeah as I undertsand it open reach just put you on an open profile to start with so I am guessing 56.3 MBits/s is probably all my line can handle (which is fine).

I have been doing speeds tests throughout the day and I always get a solid 38Mbit/s so I don't think it's happenign because of peak usage.

The vodafone support guys think it may be behaving like this because "my openreach order has completed " but "my vodafone order has not yet completed" because it is still activation day and that's why I am syncing much faster than the actual download speed. Not sure how much sense that makes though, anyway they insist I wait till midnight and call back tomorrow.

Just as an update once my vox three router arrived, I had to call support to get this router connected, but I am now syncing at 61Mbits/s and I actually get a download speed of 58Mbits/s. So I don't know what changed but I am getting the speed I should now so thats good...

Brentwood
4: Newbie

Hi, my new vodaphone broardband was relly good after it was installed, for 3 days anyway. Yours will get slower and slower untill it gets to anything from 1.5mb/s to 15mb/s. Chats to their help 'tech team' will do nothing but wast hours and hours of your time. Its them, they have a problem at peak times. Your best bet is to use the computer at about 3AM.....it still wont be the pronised speed but will work ok.  I wish you luck with them, im switching again soon, and they can take me to court. Why would i leave a 'good' broardband supplier?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Brentwood I'm disappointed to hear you're having problems with your connection. I'm sure we can get your speeds back up to what you were getting previously. 

To help us understand what's causing this, please confirm 👉

- If your router's connected to the master socket.

- If you're using a Wi-Fi connection and do you have any other devices connected.

- Are you in the first 14 days of your contract?

- Is the router next to any electrical equipment that might interfere with the signal i.e. Microwave, TV or fish tank.

-  Can you run a speed test through the Vodafone App or on http://www.speedtest.net/ and post the result here.

Hi you obviously did not read all of my posts.

1. The router is plugged into the master socket (1 meter away)

2. Chats told me to buy an Ethernet lead (cost me £7. ) It made not one ioter of difference.  

3. Been with Vodaphone snail speed now for 2 months. I got 55mb/s at first for 3 days only.

4.The router is in my hall ie not near anything electrical Other routers ave been in the same place, no problem.

Why do you and the chat rooms go over and over this? read my posts please. I can get 55mb/s at sparce/times ie 3am or 5am. So nothing here changes. Yesterday at 8pm oce again 2mb/s. Fix it please.

I get speed results from speedtest.net. And others its always about the same junk speed.

Its 9.36 am now on 20/4/20. Just checked my speed DOWNLOAD its 49mb/s. Thats fine brilliant im happy with that. BUT IT WILL BE NOWHERE NEAR THAT AT 7PM TONIGHT

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Brentwood Thanks for getting back to us with your answers to @Mark's questions. We'll need to complete further troubleshooting to see what may be causing this to happen with your speeds at certain times of the day. So we can do this, drop our team a message through Facebook or Twitter where we can run through more checks - please be aware we'll need to ask more questions to get to the bottom of this for you.

If you include your Community username and a link to your post, you won't need to write out your previous answers again as we have access to both platforms.