Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Draytek 130 & EdgeRouter X = 40% reduction in speed

LoneTraveler
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello all, 

I have finished my move from the Vodafone supplied modem/router to a Draytek 130 modem (set to bridge mode) and a EdgeRouter X. 

Everything is working great, however my download speed (which was achieved prior to the switch of equipment) has dropped from approximately 8.2 megabytes/second to exactly 5 megabytes/second (an approximate speed reduction of 40%), making me think Vodafone is throttling me. Vodafone however state that this is not the case. I have ran speed tests and achieve an appropriate download speed of 35 megabits/second, with an upload speed of 10 megabits/second.

Can anyone please shed any light? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Those figure for your line are almost identical to mine and my Vodafone (THG3000) is synced at 79.4 down and 20 up so for some reason you are syncing too low.

Unless someone else can come up with good reason why the Draytek is not syncing higher I would put the Vodafone router back on so you can see how it syncs.

I assume you have checked your connection to the line is good, using a DSL filtered socket or plug in filter and no extension cables.

View solution in original position

14 REPLIES 14

Jayach

Are you saying you think Vodafone are throttling you because you are using your own equipment?

Why are you quoting your connection speed in megabytes/second? Routers usually quote speeds in Mbs.

What are your SNR figures,? if you are being throttled they will be high.

Hello, 

Yes, only because the speed was higher prior the change over. I'm hoping that I'm wrong, allowing me to correct the significant speed decrease via some incorrect setting my end. 

I quoted megabytes as I use a program named Sabnzbd which displays in that format. Sabnzbd is what originally alerted me to the speed decrease.

Now that the DrayTek 130 is in Bridge mode, will I still be able to access my SNR figures on it? I'll give it a Google and let you know the figure. 

Jayach

Sabnzbd will be measuring the download speed same as any speedtest. You will really need to compare the line connection speed before/after the equipment swap. If you put the Vodafone router back on do your download speeds increase?

It's possible you have triggered DLM whilst swapping things around and will have to wait for the speeds to recover.

I very much doubt you are being deliberately throttled.

Many thanks for the advice. I'm in work for the evening now but as soon as I get home I'll try it.

Thanks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Provided you've not triggered the DLM on the cabinet there is something you can do...

If you can get into the console on the Vigor 130 modern you can change the target SNR to some degree though if you try to take it too far it will still be capped by the cabinet.

So to set the default SNR on the modem via its console you'd issue the command "vdsl snr 0".  If you decrease the value to say "vdsl snr -20" then the modem will attempt to decrease the SNR by 2dB (the range of the command is 50 to -50).  You need to be aware though that decreasing the SNR may improve the download speed at the expense of the upload speed.

Hi, 

I've managed to get back into my Vigor 130 and found some figures;

SNR Upstream - 6 (dB) 

SNR Downstream - 6 (dB) 

Profile - 17A

State - Showtime

Up speed - 16309 (Kbps) 

Down speed - 46433 (Kbps) 

Hopefully these figures might help shed some light. 

Jayach

So you have a connection speed of 46.3 Mbs download and 16.3 Mbs upload.

Your speed test results are 35/10 but Sabnzbd gives 40 Mbs (5x8) so to me that sounds about right.

Your SNR's are 6db so you're not being capped. 

Without knowing the connection stats on the Vodafone router it just sounds like the Draytek 130 doesn't match your line/cabinet as well as the modem in the Vodafone router did.

Hopefully @KeithAlger may have some further insights as he obviously understands the specifics of these modems better than me.

Many thanks for they reply. 

@Jayach wrote:

just sounds like the Draytek 130 doesn't match your line/cabinet as well as the modem in the Vodafone router did.

Is it possible to "match" the DrayTek better with the cabinet? I know very little about modem/network technology, but surely modem manufacturers have a standard that they work towards, how can one modem cause a 40% speed reduction over another. The cynic in me would then think that this is being anti-competitive. 

Jayach

You can indeed "tweak" the Draytek and that is why people like them but it needs a level of technical knowledge that I don't have.

If you used to get 65.6 Mbs (8.2x8) download on Sabnzbd then the connection speed must have been in the region of 70 to 75 Mbs (these are rough guesses so don't treat them as gospel) so that is, as you say, a great difference.

What, out of interest, does the BT checker say you should expect for your line?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL