Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Draytek 130 & EdgeRouter X = 40% reduction in speed

LoneTraveler
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello all, 

I have finished my move from the Vodafone supplied modem/router to a Draytek 130 modem (set to bridge mode) and a EdgeRouter X. 

Everything is working great, however my download speed (which was achieved prior to the switch of equipment) has dropped from approximately 8.2 megabytes/second to exactly 5 megabytes/second (an approximate speed reduction of 40%), making me think Vodafone is throttling me. Vodafone however state that this is not the case. I have ran speed tests and achieve an appropriate download speed of 35 megabits/second, with an upload speed of 10 megabits/second.

Can anyone please shed any light? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Those figure for your line are almost identical to mine and my Vodafone (THG3000) is synced at 79.4 down and 20 up so for some reason you are syncing too low.

Unless someone else can come up with good reason why the Draytek is not syncing higher I would put the Vodafone router back on so you can see how it syncs.

I assume you have checked your connection to the line is good, using a DSL filtered socket or plug in filter and no extension cables.

View solution in original position

14 REPLIES 14

That link is excellent, I didn't know there was a site that could offer that much detail. 

I've just entered my telephone number and received the following details;

Downstream line rate (Mbps) - 80 (High) / 69.3 (Low)

Upstream line rate (Mbps) - 20 (High) / 19 (Low)

Downstream Handback Threshold (Mbps) - 63

Jayach

Those figure for your line are almost identical to mine and my Vodafone (THG3000) is synced at 79.4 down and 20 up so for some reason you are syncing too low.

Unless someone else can come up with good reason why the Draytek is not syncing higher I would put the Vodafone router back on so you can see how it syncs.

I assume you have checked your connection to the line is good, using a DSL filtered socket or plug in filter and no extension cables.

Many thanks for your help. 

I double checked all my equipment one by one, and then realised that I had added a 15m phone extension lead from the main access point, up to the loft, so that I could tidy away the modem and router. As soon as I tried without the 15m extension lead, the speed jumped right back up. 

At least I'm back up to full speed. Many thanks. I'll just run a 15m cat8 lead from the modem, up to the loft, that way I only need to tidy the modem away in the living room. 

Catastrophe over. 🙂 

Jayach

Good you got it sorted 😀. You can get DSL extension cables, they are twisted pair unlike phone extensions. I have never tried using one and they may cause a little loss, but it won't be any thing like you have experienced.

Much appreciated, thanks. I'll get one ordered and try it out.