cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Fibre router setting due to slow download speed.

Gordon_P
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have Vodafone Superfast 2 broadband, but can only get a max download speed of around 45Mbps due to the distance from my house to the cabinet.

When it was first installed, the sync speed on the router was about 44.4 Mbps, but slowly dropped to about 38.2 so I contacted Vodafone. An Openreach engineer came last week and checked it and after doing something in the cabinet got the sync speed back up to 44.4, but it has slowed down again today to 42.9.

I logged onto my router and ran the diagnostics and noticed that the DSL connection was Active, but the Fibre connection was Inactive and the Reconnect option was greyed out. 

Does this mean, I don’t have fibre broadband ?

Reconnect Here, you can reconnect your DSL or Fibre connection. Please note that all phone and internet services will be temporarily unavailable during this process.

DSL Connection

IPv4 Address 90.254.26.13
active
IPv6 Address
active

Fibre connection

IPv4 Address
Inactive
IPv6 Address
Inactive

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm assuming you have the THG3000 router.  If you are on Superfast 2 then your connection is DSL, if you are on Gigafast then I assume it would state fibre!  DSL is FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) and not the full distance to the router!  *Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this*.

Speeds on FTTC xDSL connections come from negotiation between your modem/router and the cabinet, so unless you've had significantly faster from a pervious supplier then it's probably as good as it's going to get!

There is the temptation to drop to Superfast 1 in these circumstances, but because of the way the speeds are achieved, it doesn't mean that you'd get even the maximum SF1 speeds after a change!

**Regards distance from the cabinet, we're 700m+ from a fully maxed out cabinet.  While we are on Superfast 2 we're informed that the cabinet is only now provisioning at Superfast 1 and equivalents, and should any major work need to be done on the cabinet we WILL lose our current 49/10 connection speed!

Thanks Keith, that makes sense as the direct input to the router isn’t  fibre.

I’ve still got overhead cables to a telegraph pole which are pretty old so the Superfast 2 download speed isn’t too bad. It’s about the same as when I was with BT which I expected as it’s using the same cabling maintained by Openreach.

When I signed up, Superfast 2 was the same price as Superfast 1 but advertised as achieving twice the speed so it was a no brainier as they offered a 15% discount if they didn’t achieve the speed.

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

Dunno.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

CabinetTest.png

My cabinet has been updated the 

G.fast Range A (Clean) 

317.8230.75025.8205.8GreenGreen

has gone from Amber to Green.

Fibre broadband is a bit of a mis-nomer, it is how much of the "cabling" from the Exchange to your property is not Copper.  Mine is the last 100 metres I think. Therefore I don't have Fibre, despite eating Bran Flakes.

Line Quality

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate75876 kbps19999 kbps
Maximum Rate80036 kbps22413 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio5.8 dB6.4 dB

Perhaps if you check out a few things, you may have a better understanding of your situation.

Thanks Clint, that produces a lot of information.

It looks like I’m at the very bottom of the performance expectations.

BT Broadband.png