main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Help with speed

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Hello,

can an anyone assist? I just had my line fixed by Openreach and used it with BT for a few days before we switched a week ago. 

Was getting 76 with BT and sometimes faster. 

Whats going on on with Vodafone?

8 REPLIES 8
4: Newbie

Read through the first pages of this forum, its happening to a lot of people, especially when it comes to low streaming speeds which show up on single thread speed tests.

Generally the advice is to vote with your feet and leave penalty free if you are within your first thirty days, or to pay a the early cancellation fee and move to a well known famous two letter ISP beginning with 'B', who will reimburse this cost upto a maximum of £300. Those who haven't, are rapidly turning into cobweb covered skeletons, waiting for a resolution to the problem.

View more options

Leave it if you can. Here is no fix. Forum is full of it.

View more options

Hi @RJDelasalle how long have you had Broadband with us for? 

View more options
2: Seeker

Just 

@Adam wrote:

Hi @RJDelasalle how long have you had Broadband with us for? 

Just over a week. The day before the switch Openreach re wired our port. BT home hub was reporting a 90Meg connection (same as the Vodafone router) and was pulling down 76meg. 

With Voda I’ve got a good sync to the cabinet but real traffic is much much slower. 

View more options

@RJDelasalle Thanks for confirming that. I know that there's a 10-day period in which the broadband can often show different speeds throughout the day. This is perfectly normal as it's just reaching a stable connection for the speeds it's receiving. Please let us know if you continue having issues after this time. 

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, that's not really technically correct with FTTC/VDSL.

ADSL had a 10 day period when the maximum stable rate was determined which was then used to set the profile (so that the exchange wasn't sent more data than your line could ever take).

With VDSL DLM(Dynamic Line Monitoring) is monitored all the time ad infinitum - however you will usually see a couple of things - when a new provider takes over the DLM is reset, often a day or 2 after this you may see a resync depending on the manufacturer of the FTTC cabinet when your sync speed may go up or down as DLM finds the best stable rate by sometimes turning on /off different error correction. You may get more resyncs sometimes a week or 2 later, maybe months.

Diffrent speeds throughout the day is more likely to be congestion in the network. Log into your router and check the sync speed and compare it to speed tests (which you've already done) - any difference is nothing to do with DLM.

View more options

That's a script. Delay and drag feet tactics and you wouldn't be able to cancel contact

View more options
6: Helper

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmm, that's not really technically correct with FTTC/VDSL.

ADSL had a 10 day period when the maximum stable rate was determined which was then used to set the profile (so that the exchange wasn't sent more data than your line could ever take).

With VDSL DLM(Dynamic Line Monitoring) is monitored all the time ad infinitum - however you will usually see a couple of things - when a new provider takes over the DLM is reset, often a day or 2 after this you may see a resync depending on the manufacturer of the FTTC cabinet when your sync speed may go up or down as DLM finds the best stable rate by sometimes turning on /off different error correction. You may get more resyncs sometimes a week or 2 later, maybe months.

Diffrent speeds throughout the day is more likely to be congestion in the network. Log into your router and check the sync speed and compare it to speed tests (which you've already done) - any difference is nothing to do with DLM.

Forums mods don't know anything other than what's on there notepads, you're speaking Russian to him.

It's a shame really, because I know deep down they're really trying to help ;(

View more options