main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

How long should I wait for my speed to increase again?

2: Seeker

I moved house last week and my new VF broadband was activated, I knew immediately there was a problem with the line because I had terrible crackling on the phone and my broadband dropped out every time I made a call. My broadband speed however was pretty good - my router was syncing at 40 Mbit/s. I told VF about the line and an engineer was sent out to fix it. Over the course of the week my sync speed dropped lower and lower and is now around 32 Mbit/s, I am guessing this is just the openreach DLM (Dynamic Line Management) coping with the errors on the line. Today the engineer fixed the line problem (bad connection at the mast ) however my speed has stayed the same (32 Mbit/s). Will my speed now automatically go up again? How long does that take? Does DLM increase the speed after a long stable connection? Does VF need to do a DLM  reset?

View more options
3 REPLIES 3
16: Advanced member

Really depends on how your local exchange has been set up!  Some exchanges are now performing a more vigorous DLM system that can kick in to raise your speeds in just a few days.  If you are sure the noise problem is fixed then OCCASIONALLY turning off the modem/router for just over an hour may allow it to resync at the rate it's current profile would suggest is best.

*Requesting a DLM reset is not easy as it's not something that is included in the script that the level 1 support use.  You may have more luck with a couple of the mods who visit these forums!

View more options
Highlighted
4: Newbie

I believe routers store errors (in some way that I don't understand) and that can affect speed.  Which is one of the reasons that a power off/on is sometimes needed to clear it and cause a fresh log on to your account.   In the past this has worked for me (with a Netgear router).  At one point I was switching it off /on every weekend.  

View more options
16: Advanced member

Much of the error logging that determines the SNR is actually held on the network side (cabinet) and not on the customer's router.  It is queryable by the router, so if for example, you switch from the VF router to a set up with a Huawei HG612, you can still see all those errors generated by the upstream error correction on the VF router.

How that error info is used though is down to the Openreach profiles - which have recently been adjusted to err on the side of trying to give consumers a little more speed!

As for the occasional power cycle; most of our routers are running Linux, and so a once in a while power cycle is not a bad idea at all!  

View more options