State : connected
SSID : WhiffyOne

Connection mode : Auto Connect
Channel : 1
Receive rate (Mbps) : 72.2
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 72.2
Signal : 81%
Profile : WhiffyOne

so no real reason for the Wi-Fi to be blamed for the LOW speed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cynric
16: Advanced member

BT says (https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) my line is 42.18 down and 15.76 up but VF think it's 60.946 down and 17.058 up. We will never get treated fairly while VF keep using the sync speed as it bares no comparison to reality. So on the days when I experience 10 down, yes just 10 Mbps, all I get from the unhelpdesk is "your line is doing 60Mbps".

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @clint_flick If you're experiencing a drop in speeds when you're using a WiFi connection, this could be due to outside interference to your signal, or the number of devices connecting. So we can take a closer look into this, please confirm 👉

- If your router's connected to the master socket.

- If you're using a Wi-Fi connection, how many devices do you have connected.

- Is the router next to any electrical equipment that might interfere with the signal i.e. Microwave, TV or fish tank.

-  Can you run a speed test through the Vodafone App or on http://www.speedtest.net/ and post the result here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so I was kind of hoping here that you'd get a sensible answer from elsewhere.....

When it comes to networking your speed is limited by the weakest link in the network chain.

So your xDSL sync rate is really a symbol rate, and there are overheads that knock off a few percent from that figure.  But even if you could get 100% of that figure, there is still the possibility of oversubscription between your local cabinet, the OpenReach exchange, and Vodafone's data centres.  Which is why the Ookla speed test even if based at the VF datacentre can be so much lower than your sync rate to the cabinet!

WiFi is even more complex because those receive rates and transmit rates only apply to the time slots in which your device is transmitting or receiving - they are not dedicated bandwidth.  As an example, my own router can theoretically deliver a maximum of 2.2Gbps on the 5GHz band, but if I add the transmission rates of everything that's connected right now it comes to more than 8Gbps - and that oversubscription is true of all modern WiFi routers!

Cynric

BT says (https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) my line is 42.18 down and 15.76 up but VF think it's 60.946 down and 17.058 up. We will never get treated fairly while VF keep using the sync speed as it bares no comparison to reality. So on the days when I experience 10 down, yes just 10 Mbps, all I get from the unhelpdesk is "your line is doing 60Mbps".