Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Incredibly slow speed <2Mbps

tabishaikh
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have been experiencing very low download speed of about10Mbps since last 2 weeks during peak hours. I have been trying to resolve the issue with the technical team and will have an engineer visit next week.

But today has been the worst so for, almost  all speed between 1-5 Mbps.

Can anyone tell me if they had the same issue and did it resolve after engineer visit?

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the sync speed is good, but the download speed is bad, then it's unlikely to be anything that an engineer is going to be able to fix.  That sort of issue is usually caused by over-subscription somewhere between your local cabinet and the path to Vodafone's data-centres.  Frankly, Vodafone arranging engineers to visit users in such cases is just Vodafone throwing money away, and it's going to do little to nothing for the customers such as yourself!

Hi, I pay for 55mb/s superfast 2. I get 1.5mb/s  download (yes 1.5mb/s) most of the time, its been that way since 28 Feb 2020 !!! can i get vodaphone to fix it ? ....NO!

No amount of chats/calling/complaining will work. THEY WILL NOT FIX YOUR SLOW SPEED but will send you round and round in circles with chats/forums etc, try this /try that and so forth. 

THEY WONT FIX IT............They haven't fixed mine for over 3 months of me complaining.

I doubt you will be treated any different. 

I've experienced the same issue, and am local to you @Brentwood (assuming your username has some geographic relevance of course!)

I managed to get a username and password from the service desk so use all my own kit (to rule out their routers) and can report the same issue. Around 7pm till about 11.30pm the service is almost unusable for HD streaming or gaming.

There really is nothing you can do apart from joining the many people complaining to OfCom (Vodafone recently took the top spot of complaints: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/01/vodafone-tops-ofcom-complaints-for-both-mobile-broadband/#:~:te...)

Sadly this still won't get you anywhere. I'm currently looking at paying early termination fees (around £100 for the year, but switching to EE (my neighbours use without issue) with £100 cashback from Quidco to cover the fees.

Good luck!

Hi, thankyou for the info. My Location  is Victors crescent  (nearby anyway.) lol. I think to change provider is the only way. And Ive told Vodaphone this many times, but they seem not to care. Strange thing is my neighbour (his line goes to the same green box as mine) gets 35 to 45mb/s almost constant, however he does work for 'BT'....so I assume gets a better line, who knows?. Take a look on 'Trustpilot' re Vodaphone?. I found everyone is giving them 1 star and rubbish service. I wish I had seen that before I moved from TalkTalk. 

I agree complaints to Vodaphone are a wast of time. Ill look into complaining about Vodaphone on the info you gave me. many Thanks for you info/help

Is your neighbour also on Vodafone or with BT directly? As I understand Open reach is just the network but each provider then uses their own servers to go out.

Hi, my neighbour is with BT direct (nothing to do with Vodaphone). So Vodaphone's conversation to me that we (he & I) are on a 'Red Cable' (Vodaphone words not mine). Is flawed.

His house has a telephone line (the same age as mine, going to the same green box as mine) albeit his house is 10 meters nearer to that box than mine lol !!

Thanks for your help

Anonymous
Not applicable

A little heads up on your "red cable".  Your internet is running over the OpenReach network from the time it leaves your home at least until it reaches the local exchange.  So damage on the cable between the cabinet and the exchange, or oversubscription within a cabinet affects all users connected to that cabinet - irrespective of who they buy their broadband from!

Regards engineer visits.  Having recently renewed our contract, it reset our speed discount, so the old VF router had to come out.  Just using the router though was not enough, and in order to get the discount re-instated I ended up making a call to support.  Un arranged they sent out an engineer to look at the issue!!!  What issue - we are 700m away from the cabinet, the fact that we can get a 49Mbps connection is far better than you would expect at that distance!  I'd love to get 55Mbps+ but until it happens I can live with 49Mbps, and sending an engineer out to fix the unfixable was pointless and a waste of Vodafones money (In my case, not yours - your issues should be not only sortable but also sorted!).

Hi Keith, thanks for the info. My neighbour's internet connects to the same Green Box as mine.His speed is fine. "he's never heard of a red cable fault' even though he works for BT. He gets 45mb/s all day long I get 2mb/s if im lucky.

I have had 50mb/s for 3 days after I switched to Vodaphone, so clearly its possible to give me those speeds?, and your right, at odd hours my speed rises to a useable speed.  But its never been the guaranteed speed?

Sending an engineer out would solve or at least diagnose the problem, because so far Vodaphone have done nothing (except reduce my bill, in fairness)....and run me round and round in endless circles. 

I would accept 50mb/s or even 45mb/s and not complain, is that not reasonable?, Vodaphone know this. But I can't even get 7mb/s most of the time I need to use the internet. 

NOTHING EVER GETS DONE WITH VODAPHONE, other than a slight rebate on my bill. But im happy to pay the full amount I signed up for. In return for a decent speed, something I can live with maybe.

Thanks for your input

Forgot,..... my issues should be sorted (your quite right) and after all,  ive been asking Vodaphone to sort it out since early March 2020.

Just how long does it take ????..........But leaving seems the only option. then I expect the long fight that they want early disconnection payments. We will see