Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Internet appears capped at 10Mb

drexel75
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have been with Vodafone Broadband since January. My Sync speeds started at 17Mb/s which was fine since I stay about half a mile away from my cabinet. The speed slowed after a month to 7Mb/s and after an online chat an engineer from Openreach came at the end of March and managed to get me reconnected at approx 18Mb/s. Again, all fine. Recently my speed has dropped to 10Mb/s, actually exactly 10000kbit/s and I have tried reconnecting and turning the router off overnight but still the connection stays at exactly 10000kbit/s. My router is connected into the test socket and has a micro-filter between the test socket and the router.

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd dig out the paperwork to see what sort of speed you were promised since even on superfast 1 at 1/2 mile away from the cabinet you should be getting substantially more than even 17Mbps.  While here we are on SF2, we're also roughly 1/2 mile from the cabinet and connect at 49Mbps.  All things being equal I'd expect you to be connecting at around the 30Mbps mark!

Since fibre came out I have never managed to get speeds anywhere near the advertised. Speed tests done at the cabinet show max sync speed of 18Mb/s so I knew there was no point signing up to anything faster than that. All I want is something reliable that I can stream some TV without it looking like an 8-bit videogame.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

What does the BT checker say you can expect for your line? BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

BT Wholesale says between 14.5 and 28 so I'm in that range when working well.

Hi

The splitter/filter is only necessary if you are also using a landline.

Do you have a landline connected?

MicroFilter.png

Just as a doublecheck do a request with aa.net...

https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/home1/

Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 3454 meters.

"Superfast" VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet) up to 80Mb/s

VDSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem in the street cabinet and then typically glass fibre to connect back to the exchange and on to us. As this uses less copper wire it provides faster download speeds than ADSL, but costs a little more. For your location, forecast download sync speed is 74-80Mb/s and forecast upload sync speed is 19-20Mb/s.

Is it similar to the BT checker?

I do have a landline as well. Just checked the website you suggested and showing max speeds of 24 so roughly the same as BT. Left router off overnight and turned back on at 5 this morning. Now syncing at 12.4Mb/s so better.

Jayach

@drexel75 wrote:

I do have a landline as well. 

I assume that is connected to the other side of the filter. If it is still working on your normal extensions you have a wiring error. 

The landline is on the connected to the other side of the microfilter. I have no extensions and I only have one house phone which is directly into the master socket. I have an Openreach Master Socket 5C and have just now disconnected the microfilter and using the Mk4 filtered faceplate. Sync speed is now at 13.1Mbit/s. I've had Openreach out before and they are getting similar speeds at the telephone pole and the cabinet so I am pretty sure that the wiring is fine.

Jayach

@drexel75 wrote:

disconnected the microfilter and using the Mk4 filtered faceplate. Sync speed is now at 13.1Mbit/s. 

At least you now know it isn't capped at 10Mbs. What is your current SNR?