main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

It isnt the capacity,,its the lack of throughput...

Highlighted
4: Newbie

Before signing up with vodafone FTTC i had for years been quite happy with my ADSL line. It regularly held a 7.5Mb synch capacity and it was decent and responsive. All my wires are underground/ducted and i have optimised the installation in my home to get the best possible capacity and low noise. With that line i had no problem streaming HD on iplayer and similar.

When i signed to Vodafone FTTC upto 40Mb i had expected a quantum leap.  There arent that many devices in use at the same time here so the performance imporvement i was expecting was in speed of loading web pages, downloading,dping app upgrades on my iphone and responsiveness when submitting website URLs.

Ive had my service for maybe 6 months now and i have to say that in many respects it is no different to and indeed sometimes worse than my 7.5Mb ADSL line.

True it has a capacity of near 40Mb when i test it almost any time but its often the case that im left hanging waiting for websites to load,sometimes i get reports of no internet connection,like the router has gone to sleep,,maybe its the case that the supplied router is rubbish? Will i do better getting a third party router?

Maybe its congestion,contention,slow DNS lookups,,etc,, i tried changing the DNS servers to googles,,no noticeable change.

Are the remote servers overloaded and queuing up to service me? possibly in some cases, but surely not as often as i perceive?

So what is going wrong??

From what i read on here,there is little/no point in phoning and speaking to anyone.

Is the issue really network and capacity issues that rest directly with vodafone??

View more options
9 REPLIES 9
16: Advanced member

The times when you should see the difference is when you need a whole lot of data quickly, such as downloading, streaming, or gaming.  So for just regular websites (unless the pages are truly massive) and the like, you're often not going to see any massive increases in loading.

*Don't get too tied up in worrying about DNS servers, they make up a far far smaller amount of bandwidth than most people seem to believe!  And if you actually benchmark them, you'll find that Vodafone appears to have DNS servers at each data centre, and so they outperform any third party DNS you'll find - don't believe me, give DNS Bench a try!

View more options

So essentially for many people FTTC is simply not necessary and just a marketing con? People see the worlds FASTER and they think,well,,that it will be faster. But really all it means is you have a fatter data pipe and whether anything flows along it is in the lap of the Gods.

View more options

Yup the big thing that many people do far more of now is streaming, so FTTC does make that better - you couldn't even stream a single 4K program on ADSL.  And there are games and downloading - if you are doing none of this then pretty basic FTTC should suffice!  Web pages tend to load based on how fast the content can be prepared and served, with the speed of the pipe often being pretty well irrelevant!

View more options

I was watching MY5 on my amazon firestick last night and there were several episodes of replay freeze and buffering. So why is this happening when i apparently have a 40Mb pipe that can speed test at 5 and up? Its not what i expected, its not what i was sold and in my view, the problem isnt at my end of the operation. 

View more options

If you are on Superfast 1 and your connection is topping out at 5Mbps download then there is some kind of fault somewhere.  I'd genuinely suggest that you're going to be better off trying the social media support channels, as I don't think you are going to get any sense out of the script based call centres.

View more options

Sorry,spelling error in last one, o the line capacity regularly shows 35 and up,not 5 and up !

So why do i have periods of buffering ,web sites taking a while to load etc..is it a contention issue and not enough capacity along the way either on the server side or vodafones infrastructure?

The bottom line seems to me that these companies, including vodafone, can market this myth of high speed data but the reailty and delivery can be very different.

View more options

As you have stated its probably a contention issue/traffic management due to lack of bandwith although Vodafone state they dont use traffic management. The best remedy would be to cancell Vodafone and go to another ISP ASAP.

Just to add.. it seems to be a vodafone issue and not a widespread issue with other ISP's. With vodafone I was lucky to get 3.5Mbs on a 76Mb line at peak times. When I changet to Plusnet I immediatly got a constant 35.7Mbs on a 36Mb line at all times, and in the 3 months since changing it has not varied much at all.

View more options

Unfortunately i am outside the opt out period otherwise i would have considered binning vodafone.

I had expected that a major Global communications infrastructure supplier such as Vodafone would have supplied a decent product but it seems not. 

View more options

You may be outside the opt out period but if you push it you should get out without any penalty. Have a read of some of the posts on here as the information on "how to" is there. Go to speedtest.net (ookla) speed test and do tests at various set times during the day for a few weeks as that will show when the problem is occuring. Ookla keep logs so you can then take a screenshot or if you join can export the data, that will then give you ammunition to use against them. Write a letter to their head office complaining with the reason why and forward that data with it. Also keep a log of the telephone complaints, chat complaints and any outcome of them. Tell them also that you wish it to go to arbitration. If they cannot resolve your problem within a few weeks then ask for a deadlock letter and request early termination without penatly. You can also report it to offcom, they dont take action but log the problems and you could also contact the ombudsman.

View more options