Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Joined on 26/6/20 feel throttled and disappointed

Kibriyaahmad
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi guys, as above joined on the 26/6/20 have a sync speed of 67.5mbps but have noticed from 9am onwards, have never had a speedtest.net result higher then 4mbps till after 11.30pm when it goes up to 20mbps and then at 7am can be 50mbps and then get slower and slower till 9am back too 1.87 mbps. Uploads are consistent 18mbps throughout the day. I am seriously considering cancelling my internet as I'm still in my cooling off period and my kids and Mrs are fed up with the Netflix situation at home and also the fact that the connection is significantly poorer then when we were with bt. Any advice is appreciated

Screenshot_20200626-224245.png

Screenshot_20200626-224245.png

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Kibriyaahmad 

I'd certainly suggest to contact the Vodafone Broadband Team via Broadband-and-Home-Phone-FAQs.  There is a number in my link.

Yes you do have 14 days cooling off period but let's hope they can resolve this before you feel compelled to do so.

If you do cancel you'll also need to send the router back via a returns pack customer services will send to you.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

maccapacka75
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Welcome to the club...

I have not exceeded 5mpbs download all day, been on multiple chats to support but no-one will help - I’m a IT manager, have configured networks all of my life and there is a consumption issue. VF has simply over subscribed.  

Yeah i work with data too, and I'm dissapointed that for the majority of the day the speed is 1.8mb download and upload of 18mb and then at night after midnight speed picks up to 35mbps and up-to 50mbps untill 7am. Horrible service very disappointed

Honestly - my advice to anyone who is still within the 14 days cooling off is to CANCEL. I’m having a horrendous time. Took out a new contract in April. Within 10 days Vodafone acknowledged that they cannot give us the promised speeds, so a discount was given on the line. Since then we’ve had numerous drop outs of service, Speeds under 20mbps - we are supposed to be on Superfast 2 (up to 63) and postcode search says 40mbps! We can’t even run Netflix or Sky properly because the connection is unstable. My poor partner has made numerous calls of at least 1-2hrs to get through and lots of online chat transcripts requesting the right to cancel under the T&Cs where it states that if they cannot resolve the speed issue within a 28 day period then one has the right to cancel without penalty. We have just been ignored and fobbed off with “we are fixing it”, “wait til the engineers have been on X date”. BT Openreach have upgraded our line and we have been told we will never get to 40mbps with where the exchange is. Now we will have to follow the complaints procedure and waste another 2-3mths of our lives with crud service. 

Basically, just get out when you can. For your own sanity.

GemmaP
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Kibriyaahmad 

Are the speed tests that you've done on a  wired or wireless or wireless connection?

If you download the Vodafone Broadband App, it will tell you the sync speed to your router on the main page, you can contact us here and let us know what that is and we can also do some further investigating.

It's important to note that for the first week we're stress testing the line to stabilise your speeds, so it's completely normal to see your speeds go up and down in that period.

In the Broadband App, you can also split the SSID which is useful if you're finding that Netflix is dropping out. You can also change to a different channel with less traffic which can improve your speeds.

There's a handy video here telling you how to do that via the App - https://vodafone.uk/2NfSY9r

You can also find our help pages on our Website here - https://vodafone.uk/3gCcjyg

Hiya

GemmaP

"Your SSIDs are currently split. Change this setting to make Super Wi-Fi work optimally."

""In the Broadband App, you can also split the SSID which is useful if you're finding that Netflix is dropping out. You can also change to a different channel with less traffic which can improve your speeds.""

Can you please define "optimal" and "Super Wi-Fi" and explain why they may reduce my speeds?

2.4 ghz is for range and 5.0 ghz is for speed is my mantra. Hence the split.

So should I re-combine them?

Nope, your assessment is mostly right; 2.4GHz is range but 5GHz is for speed and range. This is because 2.4GHz range is swamped by lots of other electronics (bluetooth for example) so it is nearly always better to split the two.

I'll give the same advice to all others, if you are find your speeds drop considerably at peak time between 7 to 10pm then either accept it or part ways with VF. Their service is oversubscribed and they do not have the infrastructure to cope with the data demand. 

Hi

I am 100% right...

2.4 Ghz is for range, 5.0 Ghz is for speed.

I do actually know my own mantra.

Technically speaking it may be debatable, but until I lose my marbles or change my mantra it stays as such.

A few people have complained bitterly about the suspicion of VF “throttling” broadband speeds. I had a quick check and found that one way to prove it’s happening is to use a VPN so that the data is sent as a single bundle and not ‘split’ by VF.

My ongoing suspicion of deceitful practices was again raised because my daytime line speeds are always 40ishMb (-10Mb on what I had two weeks ago with BT). Evening speeds are continually plagued with congestion speeds of around 10Mb.

I have used a VPN and discovered that I get the full 50+Mb speed with it. I get a “throttled” speed of 40Mb without it.

Please explain that Vodafone! I’ve attached screenshots as evidence and viewable under “View More Options”.