cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Latency gone from 5-6 to 16-17ms 900mb slow download!

jalzoo
4: Newbie

For some reason my latency has gone up 10ms from 5-6 to 16-17ms. Can't understand why traceroutes are all look the same as before nobody is downloading on my network i'm hardwired in not using wifi. When getting FTTP i expected low latency as cityfiber seem to advertise on their website. Ive had much lower latency using non FTTP isps this is not what i expected at all. 16-17ms may not sound like much but why would it suddenly jump up from 5-6?. Can't wait to leave vodafone counting down the days to my contract ending!!.  Ive done all the usual protocols reboot the router reboot the ONT just the same. I get between 9ms and 100+ ms to my local gateway it's rather high for the second hop.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms RT-AX86S-9360 [192.168.1.1]
2 84 ms 75 ms 69 ms 90.247.192.1
3 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 63.130.105.110
4 15 ms 16 ms 15 ms 90.255.251.119
5 17 ms 15 ms 16 ms 151.101.0.81

Internet speed is also taken a hit the download is only 100-200mbps 

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/1b539050-5be6-4e4a-8524-31ce1cf72abd 

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/3ada5ee4-7414-4f8c-a9dc-01df915c1c26 

Have spoken to support they are about as helpful as a rotten cabbage. 

54 REPLIES 54

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

If your speeds aren't where they should be @Anonymous I'd advise following the 'Contact us on social media' link I've provided in my previous reply so that we can run some tests on your line 😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

Speeds are fine, but I was concerned that latency is higher than I expected from FTTP. 

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for getting back to us @Anonymous - if you have any concerns about your service, please get in touch as Evie has mentioned above. 

If you're still getting your usual speeds and everything's working as it should be for you, I don't see that there's any reason to be concerned 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have asked the simple question: "What is the expected latency on a Gigafast FTTP connection?" That is all I want to know. 11ms is higher than I expected from a gaming point of view. I just need to know if that is normal. 

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

I do understand what you mean @Anonymous and I'm sorry if I've given any other impression, that wasn't my intention 🙂 

Whilst it is a simple question, there isn't unfortunately a simple answer. The latency or pings can vary massively on external factors, due to this we can't provide an exact figure of what it is or isn't normal. As long as your service is working as expected, we'd consider that normal 👍 

Let me answer this for those curious.

Latency on FTTP is always 10ms more than standard FTTC. This additional latency is created by cityfibre (who are rubbish).

The engineer in charge at city fibre has been left to run wild and believes it's still the 90's.

If you want this fixed, I'd try and contact the director of City fast and let him know that he has a senior engineer who is completely wrecking the pings for everyone.

Gigafast is rubbish for gaming because your pings will always be 10ms higher than standard broadband.

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

Been here before not rejoining the argument but some here may find this video interesting:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1a-eMF9xdY

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK.  So what's happening now?  My IP location is no longer in London. It is in Amble, Cumbria. My nearest Vodafone test server is now in Manchester, not Watford. Something else has changed. My test ping is now 5ms, instead of 11ms. Good? It would be if my downstream speed hadn't dropped to <600MB, even during the off-peak. .

1) I think I would like a fixed IP address (Is that possible?) 

2) I'd like to keep a nice low latency level, but have the down speeds I pay for .  (Is that possible?) 

Jayach

@Anonymous wrote:.

1) I think I would like a fixed IP address (Is that possible?) 

I'm not totally sure about Gigafast, but you just have to ask to get one on FTTC. Can't see any reason why Gigafast should be any different.

Easiest way would be to use live chat: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

@Anonymous wrote:

2) I'd like to keep a nice low latency level, but have the down speeds I pay for .  (Is that possible?) 

Seems not. 😉

CrimsonLiar

The IP locations are pulled from a database and do not relate to actual locations.  If you test for London and Manchester, you'll probably still find your speed to the London server is faster.

If my IP geolocation were set to "Fred" it would not mean I was anywhere near a place called Fred!