Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moving Router

PaintedWolves
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Vodafone suggest moving the Hub. Does this require an extension to the cable (Ethernet) and power source?

10 REPLIES 10

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

It could do.

OR BT n5 socket.png

What I have is a pair of wires going into A & B, and theoretically they can be routed / connected thru to another Master instead. Using TWISTED pair cable, not cheap parallel,

However your OP is a little light on details, like the type of broadband you have and how far/near to another socket etc etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clint, if you've JUST got your wires going into the A&B connectors and then using a filtered faceplate or filter at every extension (used or not), that's the correct way to do it!  The Dave Fry does page shows an incorrect way (5+3+2 & A+B), which could potentially be slower.

Hi

I am never wrong, but sometimes maybe different.

How different am I ????????

############################

Wires on A, B, 2 (3 is the ringer, can cause issues on broadband) and 5 on the current socket go to the same places on the NTE5c.

To connect the incoming line place the clean un-stripped cables in the A and B connectors as shown, making sure the cables pass through both holes and go right to the back of the cam-lock IDC connector.

These will be the same TWO wires you removed from A and B on your current socket.

2 = Blue / White bands (3 = Orange / White bands Don’t connect for best internet speeds). 5 = White / Blue bands

Making sure the wires stay in place, now close the cam-lock IDC fully. If you need to open this cam-lock for any reason you need to cut off the used bit of cable then follow the above again. Never re-use the same section of wire in any IDC connector.

On the newer MK2 version of the NTE5c, they now have clear cam-locks so you can see that the cables are correctly placed.

###############

I have an assortment of wires, from BT (OR), NTL, VM and god knows how many cable companies. 

Reality is the original wiring was GPO back in the mid 70's.

Currently I have A and B connected in a NTE5 and that is all, then it is out to a splitter/filter. 

I am contemplating how to splice in the old wiring, and actually do I need any of it.

BobH
4: Newbie

Almost certainly.  Is it  phone line or fibre?

Hi, 

I would like to move the router as well. It is fibre and the black box is in the corner of the house. So I would like to extend the cable so that router can be in the centre of the house for better coverage. What sort of cable I should use? 

I used CAT7 cable but standard CAT6 Ethernet cable would be fine.

You can get 10 meters for less than £10 on Amazon.

I also used the flat type so that it's less intrusive when running it under the carpet by the door.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PaintedWolves if you're moving your router to a location that your current wires don't reach, you'll look into purchasing longer wires, but if you can move it to a location with the reach of your current wires, this should be an issue. Could you provide a little more information about why we've advised that you move your router please?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The common reason people want to move the router is that in many old houses the Master Socket is located just inside the front door - it's where people used to put a phone table, and is just about the worst place for a device handling a WiFi network.  With the telephone stand a thing of the past it gets worse, and you'll often find the modem router on the floor, or even INSIDE a cupboard, shoe cabinet, or set atop a radiator!

*I could go on for hours about this, but for the sake of not boring others to death, I'll leave it there!

Jack, all, thanks for the responses.

The entrance point for the Line is buy the existing telephone downstairs but far from the office. It's a phone line ASDL but I'm assured it's high speed because the line to the junction in the road is Fibre. It's an old BT line, probably 10 years old. There's not enough cable to put the router in the centre of the house, where I'd like it, so it can serve all areas.