Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Need some support with regards Sync speeds

nervousfrog
2: Seeker

Good Afternoon,

I know this is not exactly an official channel but I'm hoping I can get some support regards this issue as I am at my wit's end with the VF call center.

I had an Openreach engineer booked for Friday to come and look at my line but had to cancel while I waited for a Covid test. Tried to call up today to re-book and the tech refused.

In brief, I am only about 200m from the fibre cabinet and have always had a solid 80/20 sync speed. The council recently resurfaced our road and since transferring to VF I have noticed my sync speeds have dropped to 63/15'ish.

All I am getting from tech support is that it is above the minimum which I understand but it's not right.

As you can see from the BT ADSL checker I should be getting a minimum of 71/19.

nervousfrog_0-1612015181929.png

If my line is below the BT Wholesale minimum guaranteed how can VF refuse to ask BT to fix it?

Can anyone help?

8 REPLIES 8

nervousfrog

A bit more info, the sync speeds seem to be variable if I disconnect and reconnect the router I get different sync speeds(Cross talk maybe?)

Anyway here is a screenshot of my router stats. The SNR is only 6dB which seems quite low to me but I'm not a DSL expert.

nervousfrog_0-1612016387927.png

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@nervousfrog wrote:

In brief, I am only about 200m from the fibre cabinet and have always had a solid 80/20 sync speed. The council recently resurfaced our road and since transferring to VF I have noticed my sync speeds have dropped to 63/15'ish.

Are you saying the sync speeds dropped after the resurfacing or the transfer to Vodafone?

What are your SNR's? Edit: I hadn't read your second post when I asked this. 6db is to be expected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It really is as simple as if VF are meeting their contractual agreement with you, there is no legal requirement for them to spend money to raise your service above and beyond its current level!

The line may meet the 'contractual obligation' VF has with me but I don't believe it meets the contractual obligation Openreach has with VF.

The line is well below the handback threshold.

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 78.5 20 19 74 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 77.4 20 19 70.9 Available Available --

If the line is not working as per Openreachs contract with VF why would there be a cost to them to get it fixed.

I know the line is capable of those speeds as it was working at those speeds a couple of weeks ago.

The fault is also somewhat intermittent and at one point the line dropped and the re-sync'd at 50 meg while I had VF support on the phone!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your contract is with Vodafone, not with BT.  If your Vodafone service is performing with the bound of the contract you have with Vodafone, then you have no recourse against Vodafone, and as you are not a BT customer you have none against BT!  That, unfortunately, is the way it works!

Jayach

If the sync speed is not what you had with your previous ISP (who was it by the way?) I would try putting the previous ISP's modem back on. Obviously it won't be able to connect but it should still sync and it will be interesting to see what speeds it syncs at..

Of course it's annoying not to get the speeds you expect but how much effort is it worth putting in to improve them if it is still usable.

If you are, as you suggest, getting line drops that is another matter as they will be disruptive to your use of the broadband  and should definitely be investigated by Vodafone/Openreach.

My previous ISP was TalkTalk.

I have tried several routers but I did try putting the old TalkTalk router back on with more or less the same result 62/15.

It's frustrating to be told they will not try to fix it if it was a new unknown connection then fair enough but I know historically the line has run at full line speed.

It just galls me to pay for a service for the next 2 years running at 60 meg that should be running at 80 meg.

It's just the way my brain works if something is not working properly I need to fix it.

I even offered to pick up the tab for the Openreach engineer if no fault was found

The last time I looked before I swapped provider it was sync'd at 80/20 but that was maybe a week beforehand when I checked the VF router stats after firing up their router it was at the slower sync speed.