Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New line - awful evening speed

tcleeds
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

This is my 2nd night as a Vodafone broadband customer. During the day my line functions as expected, speeds are good and I am able to use the internet as I would expect.

Last night and tonight after around 6pm the line is unusuable. I am unable to stream video, and downloads are ridiculously slow.

I am aware that the line can take a bit of time to settle but to drop from 60+Mbps down to the 0-7Mbps range after 6pm both nights can not be normal. I am even experiencing better speeds when tethering from my HSDPA phone.

I have browsed the forum and can see that I am not alone on this one and I would like leave the service now before it is too late, unless Vodafone can do/say something to make me stay.

Please may someone give me some advice/guidance on what to say when I call up? I don't want to waste my evenings to-ing and fro-ing between support engineers, rebooting my router, changing ethernet cables etc when there is nothing wrong withmy set up until the clock strikes 6.

Thanks in advance.

34 REPLIES 34

Well I transitted out to Plusnet at the same price as my Vodafone deal and only 12 month contract, and no issues - low pings, stable, no contention issues at peak times.  Plus a very good router supplied as default although you can use your own if you prefer.

Faster sync speeds already but not at Skys level - but negligible difference of 6mbps. 62 vs 68.

Waiting for 48hours for the DLM to start working but line stats look good already.

I see Vodafone have fixed some issues with download speeds but I'm pretty sure contention is not going to be solved for a long time.

I don't understand why people aren't being offered credit for the appalling service but I guess that would be asking for too much.

I've publicly told as many people as I can about my experience and warned them off Vodafone.  I wonder how many others have done the same.

Good luck everyone!

Nice one. My BT kit arrives thursday, go live on friday. fingers crossed!

@tcleeds wrote:

Nice one. My BT kit arrives thursday, go live on friday. fingers crossed!

Similar situation, my router arrived today and scheduled migrate on Monday. Also keeping my fingers crossed for a more stable, reliable service with improved customer service and support.

Hello phill

is this "fix" being rolled out across the country? I am having the exact same problems in Bridgend, South Wales. Do I need to log the issue with you?

Hello phill

is this "fix" being rolled out across the country? I am down to pitiful speeds in the evening in Bridgend, South Wales

I'm not sure why this thread ended in my email box.

On my Gigafast everything seems working. No speed drops. However first 4 months we were running circles with VF and Money Extortion was on a cards.

I'm still with VF. BUT. VPN is a must to get best out of the line. It adds up £5 to monthly bill

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Redland We can take a look into any issues you're having with your speeds and help with this. Please pop us a message on Facebook or Twitter and we'll get to the bottom of this for you. When you include your Community username and link to your post on the thread here, you won't need to repeat yourself.

I still experience this low speed from 6 pm

we are now 2020 !

JohnWestGoat
1: Seeker

I actually signed up just to check that it wasn't me just having these issues.

My line went live today around 3ish and I was getting 18Mbps (Not brilliant but usable). Tried to do some work tonight and low and behold I am getting 2.9Mbps. My upload speed is 4.5Mbps. I can't even watch a video on YouTube.

Never have I had an upload Speed that exceeds my download. I specifically read that Vodafone 'Do Not Thottle' and have been told via there Live Chat that it must be due to 'Peak Times' - I'll be honest I am hugely dissapointed. Tomorrow I will be ringing and advising them I am moving. This is total Rubbish.

I read that some of these 'Node' upgrades should have been completed by the 19th - Clearly there is some traffic management going on - I was with Sky and BT previously - Didn't have this issue with either, they just kept whacking there prices up - VF are cheap but it just goes to show you get what you pay for.

I'll be looking at PlusNet tomorrow.

It's contention and won't be solved for a long time. The service is over subscribed. There is not enough back haul capacity to cope with the amount of customers so you are getting whatever bandwidth is available. It will be fine (well better) at 2 in the morning....

Anyway, make sure you check topcashback as there are always deals there.

I got £50 for signing up to Plusnet. It has tracked fine.

BTW - DLM kicked in last night and my speed is now synced at 69mbps.  Faster than Sky, and pretty much max for my line.  8ms pings to London servers too so I can't fault Plusnet so far.