cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Non-existent download speed, high upload speed, please help!

ldfairbairn
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Since Tuesday evening we have not had a usable internet connection at home.

Speed tests performed from my phone over WiFi reveal a download speed of 0.05 and an upload speed of 18.6mbps.  A speed test performed from our Xbox over Ethernet produced a 0.00mbps download speed and 18mbps upload speed.  Yet, in the router settings, the sync speed is a normal almost 80mbps.

I have reset the router, changed the WiFi bandwidth, changed the WiFi channel and repeated speed tests using WiFi and cabled devices, with WiFi enabled/disabled, Ethernet devices connected/disconnected, and with different devices used across the family, the results are always the same.  I have also changed the micro filter and internet cable which has made no difference.

In the router's event log there are a large number of errors which are added to continuously, I have attached a screenshot.

I have had several calls with tech support over the last 24 hours and they cannot see any faults on the router, our line, or in the area.  On the last call, I was asked to dismantle our phone socket to find the test port and connect through that, but unfortunately my phone socket does not have a test port.

I have attached screenshots of one speed test and two of the event log.

Please help!

Lewis

62 REPLIES 62

That will teach me to get my hopes up! ☹️ Giving up now let’s see what the morning brings.

And the morning has brought us a stunning 0.03MB down - 18.69MB up, and another screen grab to email through to level 2 support. Getting fed up with this.

Bruce

I had half an hour of joy here in pe29 at 2115hr last night as well.

Further joy as I am changing my sim as well so having to keep two phones going to get incoming calls on one and data and outgoing calls on the other.

Called 2nd line technical team and they are working in the fault, to wait for an update call today our tomorrow. Had to book today as holiday. 

I am also just off the phone from the tech support and they said that I will receive a call from a Level 3 tech at some point (didn't say which day - month or year though). They have received my speedtest screen grabs though which is good and for the first time they didn't give me the disconnect everything from the hub - test via ethernet run around. The fact that I was able to tell them when they re-issued people IP addresses last night and that many many people are being affected appeared to get through. Fingers crossed I get a call back today from the level 3.

Bruce

Ooh Level 3 not bad if they do call.

At the moment I am guaranteed to have the issue resolved by the end of the month.

Be sure and ask for details of their Service Level Agreement with BT Openreach i.e. what time frames are BT working to and is that acceptable.

I'm not sure this is an Openreach issue any more. We are seeing people connected to different street cabinets (I'm connected to number 25 in Yaxley) , and people in Peterborough , Stilton and Sawtry being affected as well as us in Yaxley. I think this is something to do with Vodafones broadband backbone system where a configuration update has broken something.

My IP geo-location still shows that I am somewhere down in Farnborough.

Bruce

Submitted my contract cancellation claim. Second line were the ones to approve it and had now been Sent to the Supervisor and the complaints department to confirm my switch date. 

I had to ask for the investigation to continue (did not seem to be a given) as until a switch I do need the Internet working. Second line will start the work with third line to investigate and I specifically asked of it is a provider related issue or I will carry the fault with any future provider. To follow. Second line have confirmed they will be the ones to call me back with any resolution.

Still no call back yet - but the speed went back to normal about about 10 mins ago. How long it will stay up I don't know. (My ip address did not change this time).

Bruce

Thanks for the email mine is working again in Huntingdon.

This is totally consistent with what has happened over the last 3 occasions. The system slows down on the Friday and someone waggles/hammers/adjusts something on the Monday for everything to be tickety boo again until the next month.