cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor performance (High FEC Corrections/Upstream)

RileySpencers
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

Today we started seeing really poor performance on our fibre broadband. Have been on chat with Vodafone but didn't get anything helpful from them unfortunately. Rebooting the router made no difference.

When I connect my laptop into the router via ethernet, max download speed via speedtest.net is 22MB which is very poor. We should be seeing 30+MB download typically.

When I login to the router via IP address, I notice a very high number (and increasing) for FEC Corrections (Upstream). Based on a little research, this would perhaps suggest either a line problem or a issue with the router itself. Any thoughts from anyone on this? Ideally I'd like Vodafone to do a test on my line but the person at the end of chat wanted me to jump through a LOT of hoops before he/she would even consider this .... hoping for a better response here to be honest ...

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RileySpencers, FEC is an error correction technique to detect and correct a limited number of errors in transmitted data without the need for retransmission.

The sender sends a redundant error-correcting code along with the data frame. The receiver performs necessary checks based upon the additional redundant bits. If it finds that the data is free from errors, it executes error-correcting code that generates the actual frame. It then removes the redundant bits before passing the message to the upper layers. It's more of an indicator that the process is working than an indicator of a problem. Please click here for more info.

Please click here to speak to an agent via social media about your account specifically. They'll be able to run line tests for you 😊

@Beth

I've already posted via Facebook messenger earlier today with all my details. No response so far though .... are you able to follow up for me on this please?

Thanks.