main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Poorer wifi speed since new router

SOLVED
View solved solution
2: Seeker

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had advice for a mild issue we've been having. 

Context

We are on Vodafone Superfast 2 deal (63 Mbps). We recently had a sudden failure, and Vodafone:

1. sent us a new router, which in fairness did work (after a week with no internet). 

2. gave us the month of broadband for free. 

In the process of sorting the problem, I had been directed to the test socket, having previously set our router up into a normal telephone socket (e.g. https://goo.gl/uaz4pX), where our speed had been very good and similar to advertised. Now, I set up the new router at the test socket, and the internet is much slower: around half. I have tested the speed variously, and it typically is around 20-30 mbps with Wifi analyzer, although streaming can be stilted and low-resolution where it was not before. It is worth noting the new router is such that the ADSL cable curves around a door. When I try to reconnect the router to the telephone socket it was in before, it now doesn't even recognize a cable has been connected. 

My query

1. Our measured speed is more like the cheaper Vodafone package: could they be giving us the cheaper one on the month we have free?

2. Could the test socket be that much slower than a telephone socket? Could one have 30mbps (Superfast 1) and another 60mbps (Superfast 2?)

3. Do you have any general advice? 

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
14: Advanced member

Sudden unexpected failures can always be a worry!  It could be that whatever took out your modem/router also damaged something in the OpenReach cabinet!

Ideally you would always want to be connecting your modem/router to the MASTER socket, which is the face-plate over the test socket.  If you don't have the latest "filtering faceplate" fitted over the test socket, then you need to be using a VDSL filter in all your telephone sockets whether there is anything else connected to them or not!

*You should also check to see if your speed changes if you try a different VDSL filter between the modem/router and the master socket, in case the VDSL filter has also been subjected to some electrical trauma.

The test socket should always offer the cleanest connection for your devices, hence it's used for testing, but having a master faceplate over it should be your normal application.  Attaching a modem/router to an extension socket will almost always result in a slower xDSL connection speed - sometimes dramatically.

If you are not using your telephone extensions then you might want to consider disconnecting them from the master socket - especially the one that is completely none-functional.

Being on Superfast2 I very much doubt that anyone would go out of their way to set up the free month they've given you as Superfast1 - I'd not be in the slightest surprised if you do still get charged for it though!!!!

If you've only just got the new router, then give it upto 10 days to settle in speed wise (as you would have when you first joined).  If you are still not getting the speed that you should after that time - then you will need to call VF tech support (suggest get a flask of tea/coffee, and bisuits to the ready) to get things checked over.  In this particular situation if an OpenReach engineer is dispatched, it may be that if the fault is within your property, that there could well be a charge to fix it (and it could well need fixing, even if you were to switch suppliers at some future point)!

At the end of all that - good luck!

View more options
3 REPLIES 3

Sudden unexpected failures can always be a worry!  It could be that whatever took out your modem/router also damaged something in the OpenReach cabinet!

Ideally you would always want to be connecting your modem/router to the MASTER socket, which is the face-plate over the test socket.  If you don't have the latest "filtering faceplate" fitted over the test socket, then you need to be using a VDSL filter in all your telephone sockets whether there is anything else connected to them or not!

*You should also check to see if your speed changes if you try a different VDSL filter between the modem/router and the master socket, in case the VDSL filter has also been subjected to some electrical trauma.

The test socket should always offer the cleanest connection for your devices, hence it's used for testing, but having a master faceplate over it should be your normal application.  Attaching a modem/router to an extension socket will almost always result in a slower xDSL connection speed - sometimes dramatically.

If you are not using your telephone extensions then you might want to consider disconnecting them from the master socket - especially the one that is completely none-functional.

Being on Superfast2 I very much doubt that anyone would go out of their way to set up the free month they've given you as Superfast1 - I'd not be in the slightest surprised if you do still get charged for it though!!!!

If you've only just got the new router, then give it upto 10 days to settle in speed wise (as you would have when you first joined).  If you are still not getting the speed that you should after that time - then you will need to call VF tech support (suggest get a flask of tea/coffee, and bisuits to the ready) to get things checked over.  In this particular situation if an OpenReach engineer is dispatched, it may be that if the fault is within your property, that there could well be a charge to fix it (and it could well need fixing, even if you were to switch suppliers at some future point)!

At the end of all that - good luck!

View more options
Highlighted
4: Newbie

What you need to do.

1. Check in the router setup the connection speed.

2. Check the speed with a wired connection. With tools like speedtest.net it might be a little tricky and speed highly depends on the remote server. Your probably need to try a few.

3. Fot Wifi, sit next to the router with your laptop. It certainly should show almost the same numbers then the wired setup - at least our has. Oh wait, only until 16-16:30 after we are happy with 2 MBit either way.

View more options

FYI: the "standard" face places that are shown in the original post are a real bad idea!  Potentially you would need to plug a VDSL filter into BOTH of the outlets on the faceplate!!

View more options