Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

RE: Netgear Powerline adapter slow speeds

rhinogeezer
2: Seeker

I had NETGEAR PLP1000-100UKS 1 Port,1000 Mbps, 1 Gigabit Port Powerline Adapter running perfectly on my previous Sky Broadband, getting just less than full speed (62mbs), when plugged into a port on my Sky router. I have now got Vodafone High Speed DSL (72mbs).

The vodafone router is receiving 67mbs in, yet when I use the NETGEAR PLP1000-100UKS 1 Port,1000 Mbps, 1 Gigabit Port Powerline Adapter in a ethernet wired port, my speeds are slow and seem throttled to less than 20mbs?

Anyone else had this problem with powerline adpaters, if so, any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14

rhinogeezer

Anyone use a powerline of any kind??

I dont use a powerline but... The best way diagnose it would be first to see what actual speed you are getting through ookola by doing a download test and not just rely on the router sync speed, as with vodafone that does not really mean much. Then do the same via wifi or phone/laptop or tablet and note the download speeds. That will then give you an idead of what the powerline should be capable of. Then try the powerline and do the same as you may find its not the powerline that is causing problems with a reduced speed. 

This isn't powerline related - it's contention.

Though Powerlines can have an effect on speed, I suggest you try taking them out of the equation. You'll see that the sync speed isn't worth a bean. Vodafone don't supply anything like the promised speeds, especially at peak times. I get 5mb.

I have taken them out, it speeds up by about 6mb thats all, i get 80mb into my router, and hard wired devices get around 68/78mbs. Yet power adpaters are only getting below 20mb?? When I previously was with SKY using the exact same adapaters, i got 4mb short of the full speed. So Vodafone router is throttling them somehow?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So out of curiosity have you tried using the powerline app or web interface for the powerline adapters.  That should at least tell you the sync speed of the powerline adapters.

My own powerline adapters are TP-Link and not Netgear, but they connect here between 400mbps and 650mbps using 1gbps adapters - the fall off over distance is high, but the better your wiring the more you can mitigate it!

Apologies to dig up an old subject but I have just moved to Vodafone from TalkTalk. Great speeds out of the VF router (a huge improvement over TalkTalk) but I get the same issue with powerlines!

When I had it set up through my old TalkTalk router I had literally no slow down over powerlines, exactly the same set up, nothing has changed (apart from the VF router)

Whats causing the issues?? Would my only option to be hard wire or set up a wireless bridge? I just dont get it, why would Vodafone throttle down to a powerlines adapter? 

Hi,

I have several powerline adapters and I also had slower speeds than the router.

I spoke to one of the customer advisors and he guided me through the process of changing the dns servers to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1.

I had to log in to the router through a browser. 182.168.1.1 there is a menu top right and when clicked on produces a list. Scroll to the bottom and change the drop down to expert. Now when you go to the menu top right you will have more options, select Internet and then dns, change dns from automatic to manual and enter the two addresses above. My speed changed from 40Mbps to 67Mbps, router shows a sync speed od 80Mbps.  Hope this helps

Thank you, Ill give this a go :Smiling:

I was using my mobile, slightly different if using a PC. Your password is on the bottom of the router.