Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

RE: Netgear Powerline adapter slow speeds

rhinogeezer
2: Seeker

I had NETGEAR PLP1000-100UKS 1 Port,1000 Mbps, 1 Gigabit Port Powerline Adapter running perfectly on my previous Sky Broadband, getting just less than full speed (62mbs), when plugged into a port on my Sky router. I have now got Vodafone High Speed DSL (72mbs).

The vodafone router is receiving 67mbs in, yet when I use the NETGEAR PLP1000-100UKS 1 Port,1000 Mbps, 1 Gigabit Port Powerline Adapter in a ethernet wired port, my speeds are slow and seem throttled to less than 20mbs?

Anyone else had this problem with powerline adpaters, if so, any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14

Just a minor correction but it should be 192.168.1.1, not 182.

Also, powerline adapters are greatly affected when not plugged directly to the socket; use of extension leads can greatly dampen the signal and give poor performance.

Already tried this thanks. Ookla tests are very similar to the sync speed on router. So yes it does suggest that its the adapters causing the speed slowing. YET, I had the exact sam adapters on SKY and got the same speed throughout. So it seems that Vodafones roter is specifically slowing down the flow to the adapters?

bipedtoboris

I had the same issue, I was running 1000mbps powerline plugs, but I've done lots of playing around.

Bought some new plugs (1300mbps ones) and fiddled with the port forwarding on the router itself, note use TCP not TCP/UDP, for some reason the combination slows the connection down, I'm getting near 50Mb download speed now on a machine running off the powerline plug.

Can I have some more details on how you set up port forwarding, sounds like this may be the culprit.

I dont understand why the Vodafone  route has this issue, my TalkTalk router just worked with the powerlines adapters, no slow down, no issues........

Yeah same, I was on EE and it all worked perfectly, see here below. Do this in ipv4 port mapping. Just replace the local internal IP with that of your device.

Static Port Mapping

Service
RDP
Local IPv4 Address
Protocol
TCP
Local Port
Public Port