main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

ROUTER WIFI SPEED HELP

3: Seeker

Hi everyone,

Have broadband 76Mbs Superfast 2 since 2 days, went live straight away and sync good at 65Mbs but my router keep droopping the wifi speed to 20Mbs average to max 25/30Mbs and on lowest at 10Mbs and doesnt change that much if u change channel or split ssd either.  If i put the ethernet cable the speed is constant to 55/65 Mbs with no big drop.

Powerless really could not even get out of the contract because is sync correct but this modem/router wifi seem rubbish.

I really need Wifi connection since we have all wifi laptop phone. 

Is there is something VF can do about or they should change the router ?

Help please 

View more options
8 REPLIES 8
15: Advanced member

Okay, so the big question is really how are you measuring your WiFi speed?

Sync speeds and throughput are not one and the same.  So the line speed that your router is reporting may be 65Mbps, but your throughput could be substantially lower than that.

This is also the case regards your WiFi connection.  So if you view the (initial) sync speed of your network adapter from the (assuming you are using) Windows control panel, it will almost always be different to the throughput on the device.  So before calling up tech support it may be worth checking that it is the WiFI that is poor (2.4GHz on the VF router is appauling).  If you don't check this, then the odds are you'll be told to split the SSIDs and that's as much help as you'll get on your first call!  If you really want to check your WiFi throughput you'll need to use an app such as "WiFi Sweet Spots" - you can also use this to see how your WiFi varies around your property!  I suspect that if you do this the WiFi performance while not spectacular will be okayish!

After all that, if you then perform some speed tests using www.speedtest.net or fast.com you'll probably find that it's not your WiFi at all, but Vodafone's network performance.  If that's the case, then right now join the club!

Let us all know how you get on......

View more options
12: Established

If you have another ISPs router which used to give better WiFi performance then you could disable DHCP on it, and attach it LAN port to LAN port to the VF router, so as just to use it as a WiFi AP (and then optionally disable the wifi on the VF router).

View more options
Highlighted

Hey KeithAlger

So all day im in front of THE MODEM trying multiple things and i measure my wifi with computer laptop card and phone app vodafone plus speedtest by ookla and is look really different now than yesterday so basically for the 2Ghz wifi signal:

1- Switched off the wifi change and set a different channel ( 4 ) with the android app Electrosmart which tell you the Dbm of the line wifi near you with channel they use updated every 30 sec i chose the less busy. 

2- The speed increase from the average 20Mb to 30Mb and in other benchmark with the speed test onto other server than VF arrived to 50Mb.

3- Same for the wifi 5Ghz but not increase that much average around 30/40Mb.

4- Ethernet cable to my laptop is with low ping and a constant line to 70Mb multiple of time ( around 30 ) don't drop or been cut off like the wifi does.

IF i keep the auto setting on the router basically dont switch to easyest channel , remain where are all the other channel of the other wifi are so 1,6,11 and i presume those get busy and make your line slow.

I already split ssd and switched off the wps and overall is little bit better from the wifi side but FROM SYNC TO 76Mb to DOWN TO 30Mb for me seem a bit to much! I think wifi could lose some power on the road but max 5 / 10 Mb.

Btw i tried even put the modem in different places near tv xbox laptop or even as far as i can reach and change little bit but not increase so much as im aspect.

Still shocked about those wifi speed

Tomorrow i try more settings and your app which is really nice.

Thank you for your reply and wait more suggestion from you.

View more options

Hey KeithAlger

So all day im in front of THE MODEM trying multiple things and i measure my wifi with computer laptop card and phone app vodafone plus speedtest by ookla and is look really different now than yesterday so basically for the 2Ghz wifi signal:

1- Switched off the wifi change and set a different channel ( 4 ) with the android app Electrosmart which tell you the Dbm of the line wifi near you with channel they use updated every 30 sec i chose the less busy. 

2- The speed increase from the average 20Mb to 30Mb and in other benchmark with the speed test onto other server than VF arrived to 50Mb.

4- Ethernet cable to my laptop is with low ping and a constant line to 70Mb multiple of time ( around 30 ) don't drop or been cut off like the wifi does.

IF i keep the auto setting on the router basically dont switch to easyest channel , remain where are all the other channel of the other wifi are so 1,6,11 and i presume those get busy and make your line slow.

I already split ssd and switched off the wps and overall is little bit better from the wifi side but FROM SYNC TO 76Mb to DOWN TO 30Mb for me seem a bit to much! I think wifi could lose some power on the road but max 5 / 10 Mb.

Btw i tried even put the modem in different places near tv xbox laptop or even as far as i can reach and change little bit but not increase so much as im aspect.

View more options

Hey mbames ,

I have tried to connect a modem from TALK TALK model HG635 Super router but is ADSL not VDSL im not sure was working 100% .

I was succesful to connect as u told me but had to switch off the DHCP on the HG635 modem and change the adress.

After that i disconnect wifi from VF router and connect to the HG635 i start some benchmark of the line and was exactly the same of the VF vodafone if not even worse.

I have might another modem to try which is VDSL but is older than this from VF and HG635.

Gutted  litterally dont know how to move now dont understand why wifi in 2019 on a freacking new modem is cutted onto half of the speed i recive on ethernet.

thanks for support and please advice me something to do.

View more options

Hey KeithAlger

View more options
15: Advanced member

Once you know that the basics are working, and that you are measuring the correct thing, then everything else is really just playing in the margins.  Start doing that and you can waste a whole load of time for little to no improvement!

It's also worth realizing that if you reboot a device containing an xDSL modem such as the VF router too often, your cabinet may see this as a line fault and start dropping your sync speeds.

*It does have to be said that the 2.4GHz on the VF router is (especially when stressed) appaulingly bad - and for no good/obvious reason.

Other than reverting to wild fantasy ideas/conspiracy theories or giving my sarcastic oppinion on the VF router (which tends to get posts removed), all I can really suggest is that you keep bugging tech support untill you get some, umm support!

View more options
Moderator (Retired) Joe
Moderator (Retired)

@Alt85 Hi there, we'd love to look in to this for you, just checking what diagnosis did the Broadband Cutomer service team with you. If it's a wireless issue then there are ways to change Wi-Fi channels etc. Please let us know what steps they'vewent through with you and get back in touch if your still struggling with the Wi-Fi channels. Joe

View more options