Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Recently Activated - Speed much lower than guaranteed

ivata89
2: Seeker

Hi,

I had my broadband activated on the 14th of April (it actually started working the day before). The sync speed though is only 6mbps when on the Superfast 1 package I sugned up for it is supposed to be a guranteed 25mbps.

I realise that speeds fluctuate during the first 10 days but how realistic is it that this will improve so much? Also there are no signs of anything changing, it just stays at this constantly.

Is there anything I can try? Support just tell me to wait but it seems that something is clearly wrong and if this is never going to be sorted I would rather just leave now for another provider during the cooling off period.

Thanks,

Ivan

51 REPLIES 51

Hi sorry for the delay, ...but your correct, ....Vodaphone have effectively stolen (by repeatedly telling lies) about the speed they offer, from other broadband suppliers customers. In my my case they have now admitted THEY CANT give me 60mb/s ...ALTHOUGH THEY DID AT FIRST !. They have phoned me to say im on a 'red cable' which means its shared by other customers (of course). So lets say 50 customers are on this overloaded line ?. Vodaphone can afford to lose the complainers (ie you and me). Other customers who will put up with 10mb/s  will do so. According to them once lots of customers leave Vodaphone  (on my red line)  my speed will increase. They also admitted that as its an 'Open Reach Line' i would be better switching to BT. Because my next door neighbour gets approx 50mb/s from BT !!!! His phone line goes to the same green box as mine.  I can only assume BT pay open reach more cash for the use of the phone lines than Vodaphone pay.  So......in a nutshell......Vodaphone WILL NOT fix your speed (or mine) even though they still advertise my postcode as 63mb/s  !!!! They should be fined a huge sum by Off Com...but I doubt this will happen. Im leaving them soon and they said they will release me from the 18 month contract free...Good luck 

ivata89

Anyone able to help with this? Anything to look at in the DSL stats? I think the Signal-to-Noise Ratio is pretty low at around 6.

Is this something that is tweaked in the initial 10 days?

Thanks,

Ivan

It seems you are falling into the trap of trying to fathom out why your speed is low? This is vodaphones aproach?

ie "Lets get all our customers talking together as to why their broardband is slow, etc etc that way we can sit back and still get paid and do nothing" .

Go back to their adds (in my case a promised 55mb/s download spead or greater, or 15% off your bill.)

So my bill will go down to £20.39/month, however Vodaphone can now give me any speed they like/and do ! Its not what I signed up for, I expected (quite rightly) for my 2mb/s download snail speed to be fixed within a resonable ammount of time. I consider nearly 2 months of asking them to fix it to be above and beyond reason .

Your expecting your speed to get better on its own. This is electronics, microchips/transistors work and switch millions of times a second. One or two days to find and select your fastest exchange maybe. 14 days? beleive me it wont get any better. The way I heard it here is: Vodaphone have 'Oversold their product" ie too many customers now trying to use too much information into old telephone wires , which were never designed for this use. But of course the other guy here on this forum could be wrong. I dont think he is wrong.but thats my personal view. Either way its not for the customer to try and fix his/her own broardband speed. thats why we/you pay vodaphone each month, its their problem to solve.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@ivata89 Thanks for choosing us for your broadband! We'll be working hard to get you super fast speeds - during the first 10 days we'll be running a multitude of speeds down the line to establish the best possible connection for you. We advise our customers to allow the 10 days to pass as this will be a settling in period while it stabilizes.  

If for any reason you find your sync speeds don't improve after this time has passed, our team are only ever a message away on Facebook or Twitter.

@Brentwood We really would like to help. I've replied to your other post earlier today.

Wardy70

Hi there,

I started 2 years ago with guaranteed minimum 25mbs which Vodafone barely managed to maintain. I think they only guarantee this for a set period of time.

Since then my speed settled for a while at 21mps then dropped to less than 2mps for 2 weeks. Many chats with Vodafone and they 'fixed' it ' at a whopping 8mps. Sent me a new router but nothing changed. Speed Can't cope with basic internet TV.

Cancelling tomorrow.

Karl

Absolutely, Vodaphone tried to phone me yesterday but had hung up before I could get to the phone. I am 68 so need a little time. So I may join the Seb  Coe running course soon in order that I can get to my mobile before 5 seconds have elapsed . Running shoes from amazon of course lol

In fact I just check my speed 22 April @11.55pm and its 16mb/s down and about 9mb/s upload so its 8 times better upload then 2 mb/s ive been stuffed with but about divide by 3.5 on they promised 55mb/s. Or in layman's terms ITS 70% SLOWER THAN IT SHOULD BE.

So I too will be hot footing it off to another provider soon

What a shame this company hasn't got any decent engineers. 

Good luck with you switch

Very depressing reading.  I joined Vodafone in Feb, have never received my minimum sync speed of 25Mbs, in fact it goes down month by month.  Get my 15% discount but big deal, I want what I was promised and the reason I joined.

Have been in touch with customer service a couple of times, they agreed I wasn’t receiving the speed I should, promised call backs, nothing happens.

Well they will get their contract length out of me I suppose but that’s it, and I will also move my mobile contract as soon as I can.

Not that it matters to them, there’s always another mug like me ready to join.

Hi, my download speed is now 1.3mb/s and 3.04 mb/s (last two speed checks ive done 27 May and 1 june 20. It should be 55mb/s or over. Vodaphone have phoned me and say "its an open reach problem, but they can't order open reach to fix it!!" How strange eh?  Vodaphone presumably pay open reach to use their cables?.  So you/me/and lots of others are not getting the download speed we are paying for. Vodaphone have promised me they will take 50% off of my monthly bill for 3 months. Ill have to wait and see on that one. But........they are missing the point 1.3mb/s is no use for 'Catchup TV & Internet Banking often logs me off because it thinks ive logged off, when its the slow speed thats affecting the transaction. So.....even at £10/month, Vodaphone internet is of no use to me. Ive told them I'll wait 3 months then switch provider, what else can I do? I certainly will not pay for the unused 18 months contract, and they have agreed this only verbally of course. As they never back up what they say Via an email or a letter.

Hey @Brentwood & @Uglyjoejoe 

Check out the video that can help with broadband speeds. 

If you still need a hand, our broadband team would love to take a look at the speeds that you're both receiving. If you follow this link here, you can find how to contact our team on Facebook or Twitter 🙂

Hi MarkD  (moderator),

How strange you haven't bothered reading all of my emails?. And your just sending me round in previous circles, that all vodaphone reps seem to want to do.

According to 'Vodaphone' (and ive no way of checking this) vodaphone tell me its an openreach problem of too many customers using to few cables. But for some reason Vodaphone 'cant' get openreach to fix the cables, even though vodaphone still take my money each month. Ive to put up with snail download speeds(1.3mb/s !!!!!) since 28 Feb 2020. Enough time to fix my problem dont you think? (3 and a half months ) of junk speed.

I agree my vodaphone speed was really good at about 53mb/s....FOR 3 DAYS after you took it over., I was so pleased with this speed for 3 days only.  I doubt 'openreach ' dug the roads up to fit me personally a worse phone line after 3 days, do you?. So MarkD (moderator) instead of sending me round in silly circles that you know will not fix my speed, Why not get onto openreach (assuming it is their fault). And ORDER ME A NEW 55MB/S PHONE LINE. Which is what Vodaphone promised me before I switched to you.

But just so I'm being fair any speed greater then 50mb/s will keep me a happy vodaphone customer. Soon to leave by the way, if this not fixed.

Just for your info its 23.26 on 9th June 20. AND MY SPEED IS.... 4.92MB/S  !!!!!.....NOT EVEN 1 TENTH OF THE 55MB/S VODAPHONE PROMISED