main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Router WiFi Speed

1: Seeker

Hi All,

Recently moved to Vodafone Broadband from BT and finding that the WiFi signal and WiFi speed is pretty terrible. There's not many other wireless networks here and I've selected a clear channel and tried leaving the router to search for the best channel itself. The speed is particularly poor on 2.4GHZ but 5GHZ is also extremly poor even when standing right by the router with full signal (WiFi Networks have been split). The signal in general is also very poor, some areas of the home now have poor/no WiFi coverage.

The synch speed is around 60MB, never managed to get near that over WiFi.

Is this a common issue or just an problem with the router I have in particular?

View more options
3 REPLIES 3
16: Advanced member

Technically the router is aupposed to be an AC1600 device with 300Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1300Mbps on the 5GHz band.

The 2.4GHz band though does appear to be crippled, and supplied as default capable of a maximum 75Mbps.

Once you take network overheads into account the maximum thoughput you can expect half that figure.  So devices on the 2.4GHz band are only ever going to yeald a maximum of around 37Mbps.

You can try increasing the bandwidth on the 2.4GHz band, which will give you upto a 150Mbps sync, but at the cost potentially upsetting your neighbours and of the 2.4GHz band becoming unstable!

View more options
14: Advanced member

what you will find. the vodafone router has a lower wifi output power than most routers , because the range is short the wifi next door will out power your own wifi making it slow 

View more options
Highlighted
Moderator (Retired) Joe
Moderator (Retired)

@juicyfruit Hey there, we'd really like to look in to this for you. When you look scan for Wi-Fi connections, how many do you pick up. As @KeithAlger has said, depending on the area around you there may be other devices in the area interfering with your connection. Joe

View more options